Pigs Getting More Frightened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumble

_
Reaction score
I've had two guinea pigs (were 10 weeks old when got them) for three weeks. Been slowly trying to bring them out of their shells and they were responding. I started gently handling them pretty much straightaway and they would eat etc. whilst in my lap and even take a little bit from my hand (as long as the food extended away from my hand - for e.g. a piece of hay). They were even coming up to my face, once started nibbling at my beard, fingers etc.

The last week though they seem to have regressed. If I take them out they immediately try to turn their backs and they stay dead still. They still sometimes let out the odd purr but it feels like a massive regression. They certainly eat far less and are much less active when in my lap. The only progression seems to be if I put my hand in the cage with a bit of food the one who was most scared initially will come and crawl over my hand, eat from it (again as long as the food is at a distance - piece of hay etc.) though she will come very very close and stay there a while. The lap thing though is a disaster at the moment which is really upsetting as they were making pretty quick progress up until a week ago.

Three weeks is such a short period of time. Having them settle can take weeks, months and even years in some cases and lot of piggies simply will never like being handled, and the majority will never like being picked up even if they don’t mind a cuddle. As they settle in, they will also be more able to tell you what they do and don’t like so it’s about following their lead.
Taking food from your hand can be as far as some piggies will go (one of mine wouldn’t even take food from my hand for a year and a half). Three years down the line the more nervous of my two has finally started to let me give his head a little stroke.

this guide may help
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

It may be they’re more comfortable telling you they don’t like it. You should really have given them a week to settle in before starting with trying to handle and weigh weekly. I would go back to basics and not hold them. Only take them out for weighing and go back to hand feeding.

It may be they’re more comfortable telling you they don’t like it. You should really have given them a week to settle in before starting with trying to handle and weigh weekly. I would go back to basics and not hold them. Only take them out for weighing and go back to hand feeding.

Lot of conflicting advice on this. Some people say to hold straightaway, others not. So basically you're saying give up on them. Make sure they have clean bedding, enough food and water to ensure they're looked after but basically they're never going to come out of their shells and just let them live out their lives.

One was really brave initially, now completely scared.

No that’s not what it being said at all but guinea pigs generally are not cuddly creatures, they will always be happier with their own kind than they are with us but in time they come to trust us and respond to us.
We recommend covering their cage for the first week and letting them get accustomed to their cage and to each other. Then taking it at their pace thereafter. When piggies change environment it also causes them to reestablish their relationship, plus they are coming up to their teens so there is a lot going on for them.
In the beginning, they are often too scared to speak out but as they settle they are happier to say no if they don’t want interaction.
My own piggies trust me, take food from me, potter around me when I'm sat in their shed, one of them will put his feet on me if he thinks ive got something tasty. But they categorically do not like being held, and my physical contact with them is for their pretty much only for their health checks, they would rather be with each other and honestly I would much rather watch their interaction with each other than make them uncomfortable by holding them if they don’t want it.

No that’s not what it being said at all but guinea pigs generally are not cuddly creatures, they will always be happier with their own kind than they are with us but in time they come to trust us and respond to us.
We recommend covering their cage for the first week and letting them get accustomed to their cage and to each other. Then taking it at their pace thereafter. When piggies change environment it also causes them to reestablish their relationship, plus they are coming up to their teens so there is a lot going on for them.
In the beginning, they are often too scared to speak out but as they settle they are happier to say no if they don’t want interaction.
My own piggies trust me, take food from me, potter around me when I'm sat in their shed, one of them will put his feet on me if he thinks ive got something tasty. But they categorically do not like being held, and my physical contact with them is for their pretty much only for their health checks, they would rather be with each other and honestly I would much rather watch their interaction with each other than make them uncomfortable by holding them if they don’t want it.

In fairness I never said they were cuddly creatures nor indicated that I expected them to be but thanks for jumping to conclusions, assuming things about me and basically calling me a cruel príck on the basis of one message. Thanks also for basically attacking me and insinuating that my intention and actions are 110% cruel. Well done you!

I think there has been a bit of a misunderstanding and an over reaction here.
I’m going to link in some threads that make for useful reading about settling in piggies. They contain our recommendations and tips and also explain about piggy prey instincts and how to help them to overcome their natural prey instincts. No one is suggesting that you give up on them. What is being suggested is to go back to basics, understand their fears and behaviours and to work with them to overcome them. And as a long term experienced owner, I do have to agree that some piggies never adjust to being handled whereas others thrive on it. Of my current 6 I have 3 that tolerate being handled, 1 who I cannot catch and hates being handled, and 2 who are less than keen on being handled and nip me to let me know their displeasure. You came on here asking for advice, and that is what has been given.

How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?

The jibe about them not being cuddly creatures was unnecessary. On the basis of a couple of messages, you assumed I was (a)stupid and (b)cruel. If I was either, I would have written them off instead of trying my damndest to please them and be devastated that they quite obviously can't stand me despite my best efforts.

I think there has been a bit of a misunderstanding and an over reaction here.
I’m going to link in some threads that make for useful reading about settling in piggies. They contain our recommendations and tips and also explain about piggy prey instincts and how to help them to overcome their natural prey instincts. No one is suggesting that you give up on them. What is being suggested is to go back to basics, understand their fears and behaviours and to work with them to overcome them. And as a long term experienced owner, I do have to agree that some piggies never adjust to being handled whereas others thrive on it. Of my current 6 I have 3 that tolerate being handled, 1 who I cannot catch and hates being handled, and 2 who are less than keen on being handled and nip me to let me know their displeasure. You came on here asking for advice, and that is what has been given.

How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?

Exactly, I came asking for advice, not to be treated like I'm cruel or stupid (I wonder did my location feed into that assumption) assuming I thought they were cuddly creatures.

Yes because "they're not cuddly creatures" isn't a jibe at all. 🤦‍♂️

Please be aware that this forum is run and manned entirely by volunteers. We handle several hundred enquiries a week from all over the world. No assumptions were made about you at the time of posting. The advice given was the same advice given many times previously by our dedicated team who wish to help you and your piggies to develop a long lasting bond. You’d be amazed how many people think their piggies are abnormal for not being cuddly from the get go and not posing for photos as we all see on the internet.

Your defensiveness is rather uncalled for. If you do not wish to receive our advice then please don’t ask for it. You are free to leave at any time. I am now locking this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back