Pigs fav treats?

Guinea pig love123

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm currently looking at launching an online, nateral, small pet, toys and treat shop aimed mostly at piggies and was wondering your pigs and other pets fave (preferably natural) treats (exept pea flakes because we can all agree they're the best guinea pig treat!) And any fav natural toys would be good to know too!

That sounds a great idea - My boars love to nibble dandelion root, anything that is wicker….toys/ tunnels, sea grass houses, carrot cardboard houses, dried forage etc

Thanks so much I never thought
That sounds a great idea - My boars love to nibble dandelion root, anything that is wicker….toys/ tunnels, sea grass houses, carrot cardboard houses, dried forage etc
Thanks so much! I never thought of dandelion root! :D

What's your pigs fave toys and treats?

Looking to start up a natural rodent treat and toy shop and would love to hear your guy's recommendations for toys and treats!

Toys wise, make your own by stuffing empty toilet roll tubes with hay (make sure you cut the toilet roll lengthways), stuff paper bags with hay (make sure you cut the handles off) and cardboard boxes stuffed with hay. Treat wise, fresh herbs, dandelions and dry forage :)

Toys wise, make your own by stuffing empty toilet roll tubes with hay (make sure you cut the toilet roll lengthways), stuff paper bags with hay (make sure you cut the handles off) and cardboard boxes stuffed with hay. Treat wise, fresh herbs, dandelions and dry forage :)
Thanks for the ideas I love the paper bag one I could do something like oat hay or Timothy hay with forage or pellets and treats mixed in! 🤩

@Guinea pig love123 I have merged your threads. Please do not start multiple threads on the same subject but stick to this one dedicated thread to your topic. Thanks

I wouldn't say the pigs I've owned have ever interacted much with store bought toys. My current ones barely even looked at their Hay Cube or Carrot Cottages, even!

These are the things they've all tended to like, in my experience:
A big pile of good hay
A paper bag full of hay (no handles)
A cardboard box full of hay
Scatter-fed dried forage
The rings of hay you can hang from the side of the cage (unfortunately these tend to be alfalfa so this is an extremely rare if ever treat now)
Tunnels - snuggly fleece or edible stick / grass ones

Definitely a theme there... they're all edible! :)) On the threads thing, you can bump your post up the list by adding a new comment, but I wouldn't recommend doing this too often :)

The only toys mine like are carrot cottages or hay cubes.
Their favourite thing is dried forage mixed in piles of hay

Sorry not many people were replying so I just made another after the last one from yesterday
Please do familiarise yourself with the forum terms and rules. Terms of Service And Forum Rules

In particular “d) When creating a thread, please provide a meaningful and relevant title. This will get you a lot more replies. Please also ensure you haven’t posted a thread on exactly the same subject within a reasonable period of time”

There are many reasons for this. Our rules and terms have evolved over time as a result of previous experiences. All of us managing the forum are volunteers and we do not have the time to monitor every new thread.

Please also bear in mind that even if members read a thread or an individual post there is no obligation to comment or post a reply. Sometimes it can take a while for members to read back over recent threads and then find time to reply. Unlike social media, there is often no immediate response, and that is actually a good thing, as when people do reply, the responses are by and large very helpful.
The forum is quite active and sometimes posts will fall further back. Please just be patient though 🙂
Thanks @Siikibam. It’s quite right that it’s a Bank Holiday Weekend and people are out busily enjoying their extended weekend. There may be fewer responses when people are out and about enjoying the weekend.

And In response the the original question, mine have never bothered with toys. Their main excitement is destroying a paper bag, or a cardboard tube. Carrot cottages and forage are the other enrichment they enjoy.

Mine aren’t fussed about toys.
So long as they have lots of hay to play in they’re happy.
The do like things like carrot cottages or hay houses to destroy and mine love a paper bag filled with hay too.

I’ve never actually given mine ‘toys’. Except once when they had some mini stuffed toy pillows. They were used in their beds rather than playing with. I’ve never bought any balls etc and likely wouldn’t either. They are more than happy with a big pile of hay and some forage thrown in the mix. That’s the only time the boys will popcorn now.

Back