Pigs being picky?

Lauren22

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I've recently changed my Guinea pigs hay and I don't think they are eating as much as they do normally. Not because of health reasons I believe it's because they don't like the change of hay! I've got 9.5kg of the new hay so really I would like them to eat it!
What should I do as I am worried them not eating the hay could cause other issues?

Could you mix it in with the one they like?

Keep an closer eye on their weights to you can monitor how much hay they are actually eating.

They can take a while to adjust to a new hay, and they can certainly have preferences. Even hay from the same brand but from batch to batch can be very different and either more or less appetising.

Mine were happy on pet shop bagged hay. I then bought a bag of oxbow hay and they preferred it, but would still nibble at the pet shop hay. I then found Haybox and all my lot went mad for it. During the time haybox were having delays on delivery, I had to buy an emergency bag of pet shop hay…..unfortunately they no longer even consider it an acceptable food and only Haybox will do!

I normally buy haybox but I changed it this month and at the start wouldn't touch it they are eating it now 🤞 I will keep an eye on their weight and if I have to purchase a haybox I will.

Back