Pigs and ramps

• Thread starter Thread starter Rabswood
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rabswood

I have had some accommodation made for my pigs (who have not arrived yet). It has 2 storeys with 2 ramps leading to the first and second floor. My question is how steep a ramp can a pig climb? There will be little 'runners' on the ramps to help them grip and stop them sliding down.

Rabswood

the ramp should be no more than 40° at an angle, anything more (45, 50) is too steep.

I think 30 is recommended.

Thanks will try to work this out when attaching the ramps ? I'm a bit thick when it comes to this sort of thing. I'm trying to make sure that fat piggies will be able to get through the hole. Rabbits, even fat ones seem to be able to get through small gaps.

Rabswood

we have runners on our two hutches that have ramps and it seems to work fine,theyre even into sliding down the ramp for the hell of it now and running back up then doing it again ;D

my piggies started off in a ramped cage (2 storey) dont expect much movement off them for a while, they will investigate ect. after they get started most the time their's no stopping them. whenever i open the cage doors they zoom downstairs *which has 2 be the hardest one to open* i think if you look for a guinea pig hutch 2 storey and are worried you should always ask the seller about them. i got tips of putting the food downstairs but most of the time i train them, by putting them on the stairs to walk down, and just put a small place to snuggle into their, food, bottle incase they cant get up. it will eventually go up, if its partner cant go downstairs, or does and annoys him and normally they copy each other!

It's a hutch I have designed myself and paid someone to make for me. I'd planned on having food on 2 levels. I will start them off in the top which is 2 compartments the largest one being a bed chamber which I am going to fill with Hay. I am sure they will explore when they have settled in.

Thanks everyone.

Rabswood

It's a hutch I have designed myself and paid someone to make for me. I'd planned on having food on 2 levels. I will start them off in the top which is 2 compartments the largest one being a bed chamber which I am going to fill with Hay. I am sure they will explore when they have settled in.

Thanks everyone.

Rabswood

The Pichu Brothers got their new 2 storey cage at the end of December and it took them a fortnight to discover that it wasn't 2 seperate cages (we'd alternate which floor we put them both on after lap time) and they could go up and down the ramp to the two floors.

I stuck some flax matting to the ramp to make it grippy for them and rested the bottom of the ramp on a large rabbit-sized corner house to reduce the gradient. I then held one of the boys at the top facng down. Once he'd realized how it all worked he seemed really exited and the following day his brother had sussed it out too.

Now they love to sleep on top of the corner house (on more of the flax matting). It's their favourite spot. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back