Pigloos

LondonLady

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
I'm just wondering what people think about Pigloos?
I've always had one in the cage with no problems, but when I brought Spice home I took it out on the advice of the rescue - they said it would be better not to have anything with just a single entrance at first while Spice and Toffee were getting to know each other.
I completely get that, but since then I have started using it again and they love it - one or other of them is always in there. The thing that worries me though is that Toffee will insist on biting it and I'm worried that he will bite off a bit of plastic and swallow it. Do you think it's ok or would it be best to get rid of it completely?

I personally don't like them because there is a possibility of them getting a build up of condensation leading to fungal infections in hot weather. I got rid of mine. I don't think they would harm themselves swallowing a small piece of the plastic if it came away, it's unlikely a big bit would come off as it's very hard. My piggies have eaten all sorts of plastic although it's not desirable it's sometimes difficult to avoid. The main plastic mine have chewed is lumps of corex from time to time and survived. The Pigloos do save on washing as they are easily wipe clean which is why they are popular with rescues.

I don’t think he will bite a bit off of it but it is something for you to keep an eye on!

I think it’s probably up to you.

Personally I don’t like plastic pigloos anyway - don’t like the look of them.
Mine live in my shed so in summer a pigloo would be a potential death trap and in winter they can condensate and cause all kinds of issues due to damp.
Whether that would happen indoors I don’t know (although the heat in summer would still pose a risk).

But I would also never use a single exit hide with pairs, not even well bonded ones

If you have inside piggies and a fairly stable temperature then I can’t imagine there would be a problem as long as your piggies are active and not laid in there all day long, it’s personal choice. I shudder when I see bendy log hides or wicker/willow hides. I think they could be a real danger to injuring eyes but they are probably fine

plastic eating seems just one of those things piggies love to eat. My Ginger and Posh get great enjoyment chewing their Step Stools but have never had tummy problems 😊

. I shudder when I see bendy log hides or wicker/willow hides. I think they could be a real danger to injuring eyes but they are probably fine

The wicker ones could be an issue when they chew bits off of it and sharp ends are exposed.

The bendy log bridges tend to be quite safe.
The only potential issue is if they jump on top of them and risk catching toes between the logs. That risk can be removed by covering them with a fleece.
I’ve certainly never had issues with bendy log bridges and I’ve used them for absolutely years.

Thank you for the replies.
I'm still not sure what to do. Although I've never worried about it before, for some reason I'm feeling a bit uneasy now. I think I'll take the pigloo out for a while just for my peace of mind. They've got lots of other hides, which I alternate in the cage and the play pen. Cardboard (which they also love chewing!) and fabric. they should be happy with those.

Actually I've just thought it's probably time to get them another carrot cottage. Toffee and Biscuit (🌈) used to work as a team on those - Toffee would jump on top and attack the roof while Biscuit worked on it from inside 🤣. I haven't had one since Spice arrived so not before time.

I'm just wondering what people think about Pigloos?
I've always had one in the cage with no problems, but when I brought Spice home I took it out on the advice of the rescue - they said it would be better not to have anything with just a single entrance at first while Spice and Toffee were getting to know each other.
I completely get that, but since then I have started using it again and they love it - one or other of them is always in there. The thing that worries me though is that Toffee will insist on biting it and I'm worried that he will bite off a bit of plastic and swallow it. Do you think it's ok or would it be best to get rid of it completely?

I agree they are useful especially for single piggies during colder winter nights but they are a heat and condensation trap in the hotter summer weather. A log tunnel or a wooden hut with two doors is much better.

Have a look at the temperature experiments in the first chapter of our hot weather guide.
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

Back