Piggy's Rumbling Tummy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuineaPigFan15

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My guinea pig (Hazelnut) has a rumbling tummy. I don't know why, it sounded exactly like a human rumble, except it wasn't mine. It happened today when I was hand feeding her on my lap. Is there something wrong with her? She also started pooping on me a few days ago. Do any of your pigs do that? I'm just wondering if it is normal with some piggies...should I just take her to the vet? Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

Was the rumble just a usually purring sound that guinea pigs make? It definitely will sound like a rumble. Also guinea pigs are pooping machines. They will poop everywhere, so I don't think that's cause for concern unless the poops aren't normal.

Was the rumble just a usually purring sound that guinea pigs make? It definitely will sound like a rumble. Also guinea pigs are pooping machines. They will poop everywhere, so I don't think that's cause for concern unless the poops aren't normal.
It wasn't a sound that piggies make, not a rumble. It was her stomach, or something in her body! So, if you would imagine having a gurgling/rumbling stomach, it sounded like that.

I've heard that sound. It was horrible. It was my piggies stomach rumbling.

It was Gilbert who had been ill and was refusing food from me. I heard his stomach rumble as he was not eating. He'd eat small little nibbles but not properly and he was obviously hungry. Has your piggie been eating fine? You might want to check her teeth. Does she get nonstop hay?

Were you stroking her? Because when I stroke my guinea pigs on a particular spot on their back they purr and it feels like it's coming from their tummies. Type up on YouTube, 'Guinea pigs purring'

I've heard that sound. It was horrible. It was my piggies stomach rumbling.

It was Gilbert who had been ill and was refusing food from me. I heard his stomach rumble as he was not eating. He'd eat small little nibbles but not properly and he was obviously hungry. Has your piggie been eating fine? You might want to check her teeth. Does she get nonstop hay?
I have checked her teeth, how long is too long? She was eating when I heard the grumble, Hazelnut is eating fine. She also gets hay 24/7!

Were you stroking her? Because when I stroke my guinea pigs on a particular spot on their back they purr and it feels like it's coming from their tummies. Type up on YouTube, 'Guinea pigs purring'
It wasn't a purr. I have heard them purr before and it sounds a lot different. I don't know why her stomach made that sound!

Whilst it is normal for some sounds to be made in the gut (just like in humans), an overly loud noise could indicate the gut is not moving properly and/or gas is building up in the intestines.
This normally happens if the piggie doesnt take in adequate food/fibre to keep the guts moving properly (which often happens when a piggie is starting to feel poorly for some reason)
Another sign of this would be a reduction in poop - both size and frequency.

Gas can also be caused by too much green veggies (or an intolerance to a particular veggie)

At the moment it sounds like she is pooping fine so I would just keep an eye on her and stop her veggies for a few days, mkaing sure she has (and is eating) loads of hay.

If the sounds get worse, or the shape/appearance of her poos change then I suggest you contact your vet.
HTH
xx

Whilst it is normal for some sounds to be made in the gut (just like in humans), an overly loud noise could indicate the gut is not moving properly and/or gas is building up in the intestines.
This normally happens if the piggie doesnt take in adequate food/fibre to keep the guts moving properly (which often happens when a piggie is starting to feel poorly for some reason)
Another sign of this would be a reduction in poop - both size and frequency.

Gas can also be caused by too much green veggies (or an intolerance to a particular veggie)

At the moment it sounds like she is pooping fine so I would just keep an eye on her and stop her veggies for a few days, mkaing sure she has (and is eating) loads of hay.

If the sounds get worse, or the shape/appearance of her poos change then I suggest you contact your vet.
HTH
xx
Thank you, Pebble! That was very helpful and informative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back