• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Piggy with kidney stone

Annabelc

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and hoping I can get some advice.

My piggy Sandy has a kidney stone and it is touch and go if he will pass it. It isn't huge, but it isn't insignificant either. He is off his food a bit choosing green leaves and grass over everything else (which I soak to get water into him), I am syringe feeding him to keep his weight from dropping any further with critical care. I am using low calcium water.

He used to be a chunky boy but his weight has gone down hence me helping him along.

He is under pain killers which is helping managing it, but it is a horrible waiting game. He is quite peppy but I can see at times he isn't 100 percent and there is a faint tinge of blood in his urine.

I guess my query was whether anyone has heard of any successful treatments for kidney stones. He is aged 5-6 (a rescue) and if he doesn't pass it soon it will have to be that he is put to sleep. But I want to give him a fighting chance. I am doing everything I can to help flush him but I worry I won't be successful.

My vet is fantastic I should add - and whilst she says kidney surgery is not recommended I just wanted to see what others have experienced with kidney stones?

@Abi_nurse I wondered if you had any ideas.

I’m so sorry to hear this.

More often a stone in the bladder (kidney surgery is not possible but once a stone is in the bladder the stone can be removed if the piggy is a candidate) has to be removed via surgery particularly in a boar they are much less likely to be able to pass it. There are no medical treatments for stones themselves.
Boars have an angle in their urethra which makes it harder for a stone to pass (unless it is absolutely tiny). A stone stuck in a boars urethra can/will block urine and becomes an emergency.

This guide explains more.
Abi comes on every now and then but is not an active member so much now (having not been on since April)

Hello and welcome. I’m sorry your piggy is poorly. I hope he manages to pass it. 🤞🏻

Sorry to hear Sandy is having health difficulties, I hope the stone can be fixed 🤞❤️

Hi

HUGS

I am very sorry about the bad news. Kidney stones and their treatment are unfortunately currently still beyond the medical horizon when it comes to treatment. We haven't seen anything that was attempted come off successfully by any members' vet on here, sadly. It is always upsetting for us as well when we are unable to give good news.

I do agree with the points @Piggies&buns has made.

Welcome to the forum. I’m so sorry your little piggie is struggling, I hope he is able to pass the stone 🤞

My old piggie Ted was diagnosed with a possible stone or tumour after having a UTI. My vet said we could do further tests to find out exactly what it was but the fact he was nearing 6 years old and had dental problems for 2.5 years with long journeys for treatment we decided to have him PTS as soon as he started to show pain again which was within a very short space of time. The vet Simon Maddock did say there was no treatment for kidney stones unless they were very small and able to pass into the bladder and then be removed 😞

Thank you everyone.

I guess I am in the palliative care zone.
He keeps dropping weight. He will eat grass and hay but not much else. When is best to consider PTS? I hate the idea of waiting for him to be in pain to do it.

Thank you everyone.

He keeps dropping weight. He will eat grass and hay but not much else. When is best to consider PTS? I hate the idea of waiting for him to be in pain to do it.
I think you will know when his quality of life is poor and he has lost that “happy” look, so sorry 😞

Thank you everyone.

HUGS

There are several factors in play that go into making the ultimate decision. They all have their right but we weigh differently in every single case so there is a kind of grey area between clearly 'too early' and clearly 'too late' where there is no right or wrong - as long as you put your piggy's welfare interests before your own fears of letting go.

It is your right and responsibility as an owner to make that decision; anybody else can only advise you to - and when the full responsibility for when to call it shots is resting in your hands, it can become quite a burden for you. It is always a lot easier when circumstances force your hand.
Think about it now and then stick with it. The most tricky period and the one when the big doubts kick in is when you come
very close to that time and then again, there is another big wodgw of soul-searching afterwards. Go with what your heart-of-hearts tells you; that is usually the decision you can live best for the long term when your heart and your mind come back together.

This guide here will hopefully help you with working out what is important for you and what are the signs where you personally feel that quality of life is no longer there. It is by far the most taxing guide I have ever written but I have tried my best to make it as practical and precise as possible; especially in the areas where others tend to gloss over but where you have the most need for guidance because the devil is always in the detail. It will hopefully give you the instruments in hand to make your decision with a clearer mind (but never with a less aching heart, unfortunately).

Welcome to the forum.
I’ve had experience of a piggy with kidney stones but having had them myself I know how awful they can be.
As long as you are managing his pain that will help.
Holding you in my heart as this worrying time. ❤️

Thanks everyone. I have upped his painkillers (now on 02.5mls loxicom twice a day) and it seems to have really helped him. His weight has gone up again and he is drinking and nibbling a bit more.
I do hope that this kidney stone will pass...but trying not to be too hopeful if that makes sense as I know it is unlikely. But I feel less anxious now he isnt looking unhappy in himself. I watched him graze on the grass all day today which was so pleasing!

Sandy is being very picky with food and I wondered if anyone could recommend a hay type that was NOT high in calcium but super yummy. He wants to eat grass/hay all day and if that helps with his calorie intake I am very game. We have the bog standard hay, but I am looking to spoil him with green yummy hay. But need to be so careful with calcium content!

@Wiebke was really grateful for your guide on euthanasia. Really sweetly written and made me feel more grounded in what I am doing. Thank you!

Any grass hay is absolutely fine.
You don’t need to worry about calcium content of hay as hay and grass is their main food intake. Calcium content varies depending on the soil grown in etc etc. Most calcium comes into the diet via pellets and drinking water which is why pellets should be kept to no more than one tablespoon per day and drinking water should be filtered. This is where the main impact of calcium intake can be managed as best as possible.

I feed mostly meadow hay but I add in a bit of orchard hay for variety

Fingers crossed for him

Thanks everyone. I have upped his painkillers (now on 02.5mls loxicom twice a day) and it seems to have really helped him. His weight has gone up again and he is drinking and nibbling a bit more.
I do hope that this kidney stone will pass...but trying not to be too hopeful if that makes sense as I know it is unlikely. But I feel less anxious now he isnt looking unhappy in himself. I watched him graze on the grass all day today which was so pleasing!

Sandy is being very picky with food and I wondered if anyone could recommend a hay type that was NOT high in calcium but super yummy. He wants to eat grass/hay all day and if that helps with his calorie intake I am very game. We have the bog standard hay, but I am looking to spoil him with green yummy hay. But need to be so careful with calcium content!

@Wiebke was really grateful for your guide on euthanasia. Really sweetly written and made me feel more grounded in what I am doing. Thank you!

I am glad if my guide can help to make a very difficult and sad time easier on you.

Fresh green grass is best and often goes down best. Make sure that it is unsprayed and dog pee-free.

Readigrass can be used as a treat but it is too rich to be the main source of hay fibre.

In essence, it doesn't rally matter whether you serve timothy, meadow or orchard hay or a mix of them.

1000056778.webpHi all

I thought I would give you an update. I started a treatment plan of flushing Sandy with water (using bottled to avoid calcium). It wasnt a lot but I gave him around 5mls 3 times a day. I soaked his veggies and at points gave him critical care. He managed to pass the stone along with a lot of nasty sludge, and afterwards he had a few rather bad low points where I was sure I was going to lose him and I had to force feed critical care.

He is well albeit frail now - despite this picture (where I got very excited as he had gained a lot) his weight is mostly at 915g when he used to be a prosperous boar of over 1kg.

I find he loses weight quickly when with his herd of young girls as they take his food, so I have him neighbouring them and he gets to have porridge oats which helps keep his weight under control. He gets to go on playdates but overnight he is in his own space with high calorie, low calcium food. The girls are all on the heavier side so it works better this way!

He is very frail but I am grateful he is still with us for now. He is very good at taking his daily loxicom which helps! I thought I would post as the fact he passed the stone is surprising...but it was also surprising how much it took it out of him and how delicate he is now (I am not sure if he will ever fully recover).

My biggest bit of advice to anyone in the same situation is flushing with low calcium water as frequently as possible, low calcium veg (whatever he will eat as lots of fluid in those) painkillers and time.

I’m pleased Sandy passed the stone. Illnesses really do take there toll on them.

Hopefully with more time he will gradually recover even more.

It is great that Sandy has been able to pass the kidney stone and has gained a bit more time. Sadly, that often doesn't happen or work. You have also been careful to not over-hydrate (which can be fatal), which is good. It is a rather delicate balance to strike.

Cherish every day he is still here begging for his food as the special gift it is. I usually turn the life clock of my own piggies back to zero and treat a narrow escape as a blessed overtime, taking it day by day and trying to make every day count and special in a small way. That way, whenever the end comes whether in days, weeks, months or even years I cannot lose because there is this precious cache of memories.
Time is not about quantity but it is about quality and what you make of it. You are grieving underneath but that is grieving you won't have to do later on. But knowing that you have done your best and most is the kind of comfort later on that is priceless in several very different ways.

But I am so happy for you! We often never hear back and have to assume the worst.

Back