• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Piggy Vision

CavyMom58

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Good Morning,
How can I tell if my piggie's vision is getting poor. He is almost 6 y/o (I think) and is doing well so far, but I sometimes I wonder about his vision. I know piggies don't have the best vision to begin with. Just hoping there's a simple way to unofficially test? I would appreciate any tips and tricks! 🤓

Good Morning,
How can I tell if my piggie's vision is getting poor. He is almost 6 y/o (I think) and is doing well so far, but I sometimes I wonder about his vision. I know piggies don't have the best vision to begin with. Just hoping there's a simple way to unofficially test? I would appreciate any tips and tricks! 🤓

Hi

No there isn't any eye test but you can have your piggy vet checked for potential old age cataracts etc.

It is not something I would personally recommend these days but the normal red eyes in flash light turn purple with increased fogging of the lens and then blue with a full cataract or nuclear sclerosis in there; just the same as with humans. Only that there is no operation for piggies.
You can clearly see that Mischief's lens is blue in flash light and not as well that her other eye is turning purple and has also started to go by the time this picture was taken. I have a few old flash pictures from the time back when hub and I shared a camera and he forgot to turn the flash off again when he was finished.

IMG_2322_edited-2.webp

The good news is that they adapt and compensate with smell, hearing and touch, which are their much stronger senses anyway. The transition period is the most difficult period; especially if the loss of sight happens very fast - some cataracts or nuclear sclerosis can develop in a matter of days. More often than not, the other eye will follow within weeks or months.

The piggies in my one time dedicated cataract group where able to live a perfectly normal life include shallow ramps covered with a sent retaining material. You can change the layout as long as you do not clean any huts so the aight impeded piggies can smell them and rearrange their mental map.
My Mischief was even able to re-learn to free roam in the garden by building up a new mind map based on scent and touch. And she learned to come to me across several years with a constant vocal update as to whether she was on course or not. If I stood next to the entrance flap of their walk-in run, she would even turn herself in after I had moved the run to a new area.

My 7-8 years old Mali loved following her scent spoor loops in her old age/blind version of zoomies. She passed away from old age two days after creating a new loop, age 8 even though she was blind for all intents and purposes.

Hers is the last video link in the guide. She must have gone round at least 60 times of the course of a couple of hours that time and often crowned it by intentionally bumping into a rather puzzled 3 years old Iola (playing 'dodgems').

You always share the greatest information! Thank you for it and the encouragement it offers. Just love my little guys... I hope they do as well with me as yours have with you. My older boy with probable vision issues does do well getting around but I've heard I shouldn't change things up much in his home cage due to his vision. Is that true, or is it OK to mix it up a bit?

You always share the greatest information! Thank you for it and the encouragement it offers. Just love my little guys... I hope they do as well with me as yours have with you. My older boy with probable vision issues does do well getting around but I've heard I shouldn't change things up much in his home cage due to his vision. Is that true, or is it OK to mix it up a bit?

Hi

This is one the many online cavy myths that are persistently making the rounds although they have been long debunked but that keep being handed out by self-taught 'cavy experts', usually without personal experience. :(

As long as you extend the layout with lightly soiled bedding and smelly furniture, your blind piggy can quickly get their bearings and rebuild their mind map with comparatively little bumping into things. . All you have to do is provide the necessary information geared to their other senses.

The biggest mistake you can make with a disabled piggy is to wrap them in cotton wool. The more you challenge them to gradually push their abilities to their limit and to expand that limit, the more of a normal and enriched life they can live.

Here is our enrichment guide for all senses. Note that the little brindle aby (mottled black and brown) in the pictures is my blind Mischief from before forum times. I have deliberately included a disabled piggy and included enrichment for all senses and any disability.

This is awesome and again such helpful information! Thank you for sharing... and for helping this newbie learn so I can take great care of my boys. I've got some reading to tackle. 🤓 BTW, your piggies, past and present, are adorable. 🐹

Back