• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Piggy started meds on Tuesday. It’s now Thursday. When should I notice improvement?

olivia.hami03

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Last week I went out of town for 3 nights to visit family. I had my friend come in 3 times a day to feed my piggy and play with him, spot clean, etc. They’ve helped me with this once before however that was only a single night away. When I came back I noticed my piggy wasn’t doing well - not drinking, eating, pooping/peeing. I took him to the emergency vet Friday night (right before the long weekend here), and their exotic vet wasn’t there. They gave me critical care, which I’ve been syringe feeding him as well as water a handful of times per day.

On Tuesday (after the long weekend) I finally got him in to see the vet. They said his stomach is filled with gas, but besides that there’s no other issues. They gave him fluids, and sent me home with a medication to help him poop again, infant gas medication, and a sedating pain reliever.

It’s now Thursday and I haven’t noticed much improvement. He peed at least once, but still no poops. He’s not drinking water on his own, but he has taken a few small bites here and there of his hay and pellets. This morning he begged for veggies but then he didn’t eat them when I gave them to him. I can hear his stomach grumbling often so hopefully that’s a good sign? His pain meds make him drowsy so it’s really difficult to notice a change in his behaviour.

I know the meds should take 2-3 days before they really kick in, but how long should I expect until he’s back to his normal self? How long might it take for him to eat/drink on his own and poop again?

He’s 3.5 years old and this is the first time he’s ever had an issue with his health. The vet told me he probably has separation anxiety and got stressed by me being gone. He’s like my baby so I hate seeing him this way. Syringe feeding him is also difficult because he hates it. I noticed this morning he had slightly scratched his face and there was a bit of blood that I cleaned up. I just want my baby to feel better again. This is so hard :(

I’m sorry to hear this.
I’m afraid it’s not possible to know how long it will take as it depends on what has caused the issue.
Please don’t feed him veg while he has bloat.

Poop output is 1-2 days behind food intake so you won’t see poop until 1-2 days after his digestion is working properly and when he has been getting enough food.
No poop means not enough food is going in.
How much syringe feed in ml have you been getting into him each day?
It’s vital that you switch from the lifelong routine weekly weight checks and that you weigh him each morning while he is unwell so you can monitor that he is getting enough syringe feed to keep his weight stable each day.
He needs a minimum of 40-60ml of syringe feed - but he could need more than that depending on what his weight checks tell you each day. 40ml is the minimum amount for survival and a very poorly piggy may not be able to take much more than that. The less he takes per sitting, the more sittings are needed - he could need to be fed every two hours.

What medications has he been given?

Be aware that infant gas medication containing simethicone can make the issue worse and isn’t recommended. It gathers gas into one large bubble which is fine for humans for for piggies with a very different gut type, this type of effect will make things more painful for piggy to pass.

All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures
Digestive Disorders: Not Eating - Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement)

I’m sorry to hear this.
I’m afraid it’s not possible to know how long it will take as it depends on what has caused the issue.
Please don’t feed him veg while he has bloat.

Poop output is 1-2 days behind food intake so you won’t see poop until 1-2 days after his digestion is working properly and when he has been getting enough food.
No poop means not enough food is going in.
How much syringe feed in ml have you been getting into him each day?
It’s vital that you switch from the lifelong routine weekly weight checks and that you weigh him each morning while he is unwell so you can monitor that he is getting enough syringe feed to keep his weight stable each day.
He needs a minimum of 40-60ml of syringe feed - but he could need more than that depending on what his weight checks tell you each day. 40ml is the minimum amount for survival and a very poorly piggy may not be able to take much more than that. The less he takes per sitting, the more sittings are needed - he could need to be fed every two hours.

What medications has he been given?

Be aware that infant gas medication containing simethicone can make the issue worse and isn’t recommended. It gathers gas into one large bubble which is fine for humans for for piggies with a very different gut type, this type of effect will make things more painful for piggy to pass.

All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures
Digestive Disorders: Not Eating - Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement)
I’ve been syringe feeding him around 50ml of critical care every day, usually spread out into 4-5 feedings. I work part time so I’m usually gone for 4-5 hours of the day, but when I’m home I try to feed him every 2-3 hours. I’ve also been syringe feeding him water whenever I can (usually every hour or 2, as he only takes a little at a time).

He was given an infant gas med with simethicone. I was told to give him 0.5ml every 8-12 hours. He was also given metoclopramide which is to be given 0.1ml every 8 hours until he’s pooping normal again. The pain meds he was given is transmucosal buprenorphine, which is every 8-12 hours.

The vet (well the receptionist at the vet) actually just called and asked how he’s doing so I told her basically what I’ve written here. She said she’ll give the notes to the vet and if she has concerns she’ll call back. So maybe he needs a different medication?

ETA: I’ve also been gently massaging his belly multiple times a day. When I do this I hear his stomach noises and occasionally I hear/smell him pass some gas. He’s stinky.

Last week I went out of town for 3 nights to visit family. I had my friend come in 3 times a day to feed my piggy and play with him, spot clean, etc. They’ve helped me with this once before however that was only a single night away. When I came back I noticed my piggy wasn’t doing well - not drinking, eating, pooping/peeing. I took him to the emergency vet Friday night (right before the long weekend here), and their exotic vet wasn’t there. They gave me critical care, which I’ve been syringe feeding him as well as water a handful of times per day.

On Tuesday (after the long weekend) I finally got him in to see the vet. They said his stomach is filled with gas, but besides that there’s no other issues. They gave him fluids, and sent me home with a medication to help him poop again, infant gas medication, and a sedating pain reliever.

It’s now Thursday and I haven’t noticed much improvement. He peed at least once, but still no poops. He’s not drinking water on his own, but he has taken a few small bites here and there of his hay and pellets. This morning he begged for veggies but then he didn’t eat them when I gave them to him. I can hear his stomach grumbling often so hopefully that’s a good sign? His pain meds make him drowsy so it’s really difficult to notice a change in his behaviour.

I know the meds should take 2-3 days before they really kick in, but how long should I expect until he’s back to his normal self? How long might it take for him to eat/drink on his own and poop again?

He’s 3.5 years old and this is the first time he’s ever had an issue with his health. The vet told me he probably has separation anxiety and got stressed by me being gone. He’s like my baby so I hate seeing him this way. Syringe feeding him is also difficult because he hates it. I noticed this morning he had slightly scratched his face and there was a bit of blood that I cleaned up. I just want my baby to feel better again. This is so hard :(

Hi

I am very sorry.

Have you stepped in with syringe feeding support? Guinea pigs cannot fast. The lack of poop output reflects what has gone in a day or two before. Your home care feeding and watering support is crucial when dealing with loss of appetite.; you are ideally aiming for 60 ml in 24 hours but for 40 ml or as close as you can come at the very bottom line. It can be a real struggle in a very ill piggy.
If you haven't got any support care at home right now: How to Improvise Feeding Support in an Emergency

This is our all in one emergency and crisis care collection of practical how-to advice and any necessary information access link; especially seeing that you are in a different time zone: Emergency and Crisis Care as well as Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

Here is information on digestive problems, including severe bloat. It is unfortunately a serious illness, as is any bloating caused by an underlying issue which is often masked by major bloating or a fluid build up in the body cavity. All you can do is hanging in there and keeping on medicating and feeding - and hoping for the best.
Wiebke's Guide to Tummy Trouble

My thoughts are with you and your poorly piggy. A fight for life is always so tough and so draining. :(

Hi

I am very sorry.

Have you stepped in with syringe feeding support? Guinea pigs cannot fast. The lack of poop output reflects what has gone in a day or two before. Your home care feeding and watering support is crucial when dealing with loss of appetite.; you are ideally aiming for 60 ml in 24 hours but for 40 ml or as close as you can come at the very bottom line. It can be a real struggle in a very ill piggy.
If you haven't got any support care at home right now: How to Improvise Feeding Support in an Emergency

This is our all in one emergency and crisis care collection of practical how-to advice and any necessary information access link; especially seeing that you are in a different time zone: Emergency and Crisis Care as well as Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

Here is information on digestive problems, including severe bloat. It is unfortunately a serious illness, as is any bloating caused by an underlying issue which is often masked by major bloating or a fluid build up in the body cavity. All you can do is hanging in there and keeping on medicating and feeding - and hoping for the best.
Wiebke's Guide to Tummy Trouble

My thoughts are with you and your poorly piggy. A fight for life is always so tough and so draining. :(
I’ve been syringe feeding him water and critical care since Friday night. So 6 days of syringe feeding, and 2 days on the medications. I try to aim for 50ml per day of critical care, plus extra water.

It certainly is draining! I felt like I haven’t slept properly in a week. I’m so worried about my boy and I’m just praying he can make a full recovery.

When I brought him to the vet the other day, they did X-rays. All they noticed was the gas buildup, so luckily no fluid build up or any other twists or blockages.

I’ve been syringe feeding him around 50ml of critical care every day, usually spread out into 4-5 feedings. I work part time so I’m usually gone for 4-5 hours of the day, but when I’m home I try to feed him every 2-3 hours. I’ve also been syringe feeding him water whenever I can (usually every hour or 2, as he only takes a little at a time).

He was given an infant gas med with simethicone. I was told to give him 0.5ml every 8-12 hours. He was also given metoclopramide which is to be given 0.1ml every 8 hours until he’s pooping normal again. The pain meds he was given is transmucosal buprenorphine, which is every 8-12 hours.

The vet (well the receptionist at the vet) actually just called and asked how he’s doing so I told her basically what I’ve written here. She said she’ll give the notes to the vet and if she has concerns she’ll call back. So maybe he needs a different medication?

ETA: I’ve also been gently massaging his belly multiple times a day. When I do this I hear his stomach noises and occasionally I hear/smell him pass some gas. He’s stinky.

Sorry, our posts have crossed.

Buprenorphine is a morphine and usually spaces piggies out. It is a very strong painkiller.
Metoclopramide stimulates the muscles in the gut walls.

In my own experience, simethicone does collect gas in one large bubble. It is fine with meat eating humans and pets with a shorter, thicker gut but not so good for guinea pigs with a much longer and very thin gut. Unfortunately, with ranitidine so very difficult to obtain for vets, effective gut meds for guinea pigs are extremely limited. That is why serious gut issues are so difficult to treat and you are really up against it. :(

I hope that this helps you? Having been up against it myself several times, you have my full sympathy.

HUGS

Back