Piggy penthouse now with balcony!

KHBz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ok, so it seems totally bonkers for a ground-roaming creature, scared of heights, to have a pe[n]thouse with a balcony, but having made the mistake of buying a Kendal hutch-and-run combo (with steep ramp), I have had to work with that. The 4 x 2 hutch is now a 6 x 2, double-walled/ceilinged/floored, mega-insulated, double-ramped, double-mezzanined, rat-proofed pe[n]thouse with balcony, boasting stunning views into a bush, period features and commissioned portraits of the occupants.

The balcony slots firmly into the frame (on top of the wire mesh) that covers the exposed part of the run and it is removable. It is also not as mad as it sounds – the Waddle Bottoms certainly can’t jump off as inside the walls I have now secured some of the high translucent panels that made up their run in their winter quarters. It is emphatically not a sparrow-hawk landing pad as the piggies will only be allowed onto the balcony when we are standing right at the sides and directly interacting with them. This is why I have made it. We are used to having them in the shed where we can sit with them in their run, and so it has been quite a transition only being able to stick our heads in through the hutch door whilst trying to stop them from curiously going over the edge. We do also have a collapsible 6-foot run which we use but it can’t stay permanently in place because I keep misjudging its height and tripping over it as I go to the shed. This way we can just pop by and they can come out to see us if they want to.

So, here are some photos – their evening meal before I added the extra panels, and Ophelia’s reaction to the portrait of Bianca. The last photo shows the panels in place – the gap that you can see is far too thin for the Waddle Bottoms to jump through. The panels are secure, wedged against the post that joins the two sides (hence the apparent gap) and tied with garden wire.

I seem to have spent the entirety of lockdown making the guinea-pigs’ hutch as big and as safe as I can. I should actually have been doing many other things, but this is much more fun. Oh, and they really like their new extension! They went popcorning-berserk when they went into it (probably because of the new fleece floor) and do zoomies up and down the two ramps with both hutch and run encompassed in their circuits. I peered in quietly earlier today and watched Bianca do 3 little popcorns to herself (her back to me) before settling down onto a cavy-cosy. They also both choose to nap in the extension rather than one being in the sleeping area and one in the main area, as they used to. Both mezzanines, with the extra piles of hay, are used and I have often seen one on the original one and the other on the new one, at opposite ends of the property. The mezzanines are also there for them to sit under and feel safe as the Kendal hutch is so high -- too high for guinea-pigs, I think.

This Piggy Balcony 5 (2).webp

This Piggy Balcony 3.webp
This uncertainy (sh).webp

This IMG_8426 (C)contrast.webp

What a beautiful home you have built! I'm sure not many pigs get hand painted artwork on their walls 😁

...how on earth are they managing to not squabble over who has clearly got the better bowl?! :yikes:

(tis a lovely palace, too :nod: )

wow that is quite the mansion! lucky piggies 😀
I think many would call it an eye-sore but we don't mind it totally dominating our small garden -- as long as the piggies do like the space, which they seem to. I just hope that my neighbours, who were throwing away the antique Russian drawer fronts that now form the wall by the door, can't see what I have done with them. I keep looking up at their window to check that all the foliage is blocking their line of sight from their top window. I think turning those antique drawer fronts into a guinea-pig hutch extension is called downcycling.

What a beautiful home you have built! I'm sure not many pigs get hand painted artwork on their walls 😁
Thank you! All the art-work is by my eleven-year-old, the portraits printed on aluminium. I found Ophelia's reaction quite interesting. Is it possible that she could recognise it as a representation of an animal? She hasn't reacted like that to plain surfaces. It is when she is being really cautious and uncertain that she does this: planting her bottom as far into the ground as possible, legs stretched backwards even further, and straining her upper body forward -- as though she is a spring ready to ping back to its original position if it is unsafe. When my younger daughter introduced her fairly realistic guinea-pig soft toy to them, Bianca sniffed it and then bit its ear.

...how on earth are they managing to not squabble over who has clearly got the better bowl?! :yikes:

(tis a lovely palace, too :nod: )
They do swap around, though! One of them will decide that they want a go at the other bowl and they just change places. It seems quite harmonious!

Thank you! All the art-work is by my eleven-year-old, the portraits printed on aluminium. I found Ophelia's reaction quite interesting. Is it possible that she could recognise it as a representation of an animal? She hasn't reacted like that to plain surfaces. It is when she is being really cautious and uncertain that she does this: planting her bottom as far into the ground as possible, legs stretched backwards even further, and straining her upper body forward -- as though she is a spring ready to ping back to its original position if it is unsafe. When my younger daughter introduced her fairly realistic guinea-pig soft toy to them, Bianca sniffed it and then bit its ear.
Wow you have a very talented 11 year old! I think it's believable that Ophelia saw the outline and colours and thought oooh that looks like someone I know......

Wow you have a very talented 11 year old! I think it's believable that Ophelia saw the outline and colours and thought oooh that looks like someone I know......
I'm glad you didn't think my question silly! It's quite a cognitive leap, I would have thought, to be able to interpret a 2D representation. But with Bianca also recognising the representation of a guinea-pig in a soft toy which certainly didn't smell of guinea-pig, and responding with dominance behaviour by biting its ear, it does make me wonder.

Slightly off topic but similar....my mums parrot used to love her Yorkshire terrier. He would nibble his hair and make kissing noises at him all the time. It really was like he was in love with him. When the dog died the bird was really depressed and started to pull his feathers out. My mum got a toy dog that looked similar and used to move it round with a stick. The bird was happy again and made the kissy noises at the toy! Stopped his feather picking that day.

Thank you! When I told my long-suffering husband that I was now making them a balcony, he just looked at me and said, 'Of course you are'. But he is rather smitten with them now and will sit on the bench watching them.
They all deny it at the start but can’t help themselves 🤣

Slightly off topic but similar....my mums parrot used to love her Yorkshire terrier. He would nibble his hair and make kissing noises at him all the time. It really was like he was in love with him. When the dog died the bird was really depressed and started to pull his feathers out. My mum got a toy dog that looked similar and used to move it round with a stick. The bird was happy again and made the kissy noises at the toy! Stopped his feather picking that day.
Oh poor parrot! I'm really glad the toy dog worked - good thinking on your mum's part.

Fantastic mansion, love the artwork, how original 💕
Thank you! I think 'original' is the polite way of putting it! I'm just so relieved I had no purple left when it came to the extension and just had a tin of paint intended for our window frames 11 years ago... Can you imagine -- a block of solid purple! That was the artist's choice of colour when she was given the hutch!

Ok, so it seems totally bonkers for a ground-roaming creature, scared of heights, to have a pe[n]thouse with a balcony, but having made the mistake of buying a Kendal hutch-and-run combo (with steep ramp), I have had to work with that. The 4 x 2 hutch is now a 6 x 2, double-walled/ceilinged/floored, mega-insulated, double-ramped, double-mezzanined, rat-proofed pe[n]thouse with balcony, boasting stunning views into a bush, period features and commissioned portraits of the occupants.

The balcony slots firmly into the frame (on top of the wire mesh) that covers the exposed part of the run and it is removable. It is also not as mad as it sounds – the Waddle Bottoms certainly can’t jump off as inside the walls I have now secured some of the high translucent panels that made up their run in their winter quarters. It is emphatically not a sparrow-hawk landing pad as the piggies will only be allowed onto the balcony when we are standing right at the sides and directly interacting with them. This is why I have made it. We are used to having them in the shed where we can sit with them in their run, and so it has been quite a transition only being able to stick our heads in through the hutch door whilst trying to stop them from curiously going over the edge. We do also have a collapsible 6-foot run which we use but it can’t stay permanently in place because I keep misjudging its height and tripping over it as I go to the shed. This way we can just pop by and they can come out to see us if they want to.

So, here are some photos – their evening meal before I added the extra panels, and Ophelia’s reaction to the portrait of Bianca. The last photo shows the panels in place – the gap that you can see is far too thin for the Waddle Bottoms to jump through. The panels are secure, wedged against the post that joins the two sides (hence the apparent gap) and tied with garden wire.

I seem to have spent the entirety of lockdown making the guinea-pigs’ hutch as big and as safe as I can. I should actually have been doing many other things, but this is much more fun. Oh, and they really like their new extension! They went popcorning-berserk when they went into it (probably because of the new fleece floor) and do zoomies up and down the two ramps with both hutch and run encompassed in their circuits. I peered in quietly earlier today and watched Bianca do 3 little popcorns to herself (her back to me) before settling down onto a cavy-cosy. They also both choose to nap in the extension rather than one being in the sleeping area and one in the main area, as they used to. Both mezzanines, with the extra piles of hay, are used and I have often seen one on the original one and the other on the new one, at opposite ends of the property. The mezzanines are also there for them to sit under and feel safe as the Kendal hutch is so high -- too high for guinea-pigs, I think.

View attachment 144225

View attachment 144226
View attachment 144227

View attachment 144228
Wow what a lovely piggy home, bet they just live enjoying their breakfast on the balcony in the mornings x

Thank you! I think 'original' is the polite way of putting it! I'm just so relieved I had no purple left when it came to the extension and just had a tin of paint intended for our window frames 11 years ago... Can you imagine -- a block of solid purple! That was the artist's choice of colour when she was given the hutch!
I thinks it’s really fab! We all love purple on this forum, your artwork is lovely :nod:

I thinks it’s really fab! We all love purple on this forum, your artwork is lovely :nod:
That's really kind of you to say -- thank you :) And I'll pass on your compliment about the art to my daughter!

Back