• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

piggy nail clipping

• Thread starter Thread starter little.one
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

little.one

I am having real problems trying to persuade my two piggys to sit still for long enough to properly cut their nails.

They are still quite young, so their nails arent too long, but i am starting to get really frustrated - can anyone offer any advice? Or is a trip to the vets the only option?

x

there is a thread somewhere on the topic of cutting nails one sec i shall get it for you :)

btw its also handy if you have someone else to hold them, or maybe wrap them up in a towel and leave each leg out so you can get to it easily

spudnik said:
btw its also handy if you have someone else to hold them, or maybe wrap them up in a towel and leave each leg out so you can get to it easily

agree :)

Welcome to the forum :)

Welcome to the forum. The other thread that spudnik has put a link to discusses nail clipping. If it is your first time clipping nails I always advise first time people to go to the vets, they will clip the nails and show you how to do it, or find an experienced guinea pig owner. O0

I accidentally caught the quick the other day n ive been cutting nails for over 5 years! lois was not pleased >:(

I clipped Teddy and Larry`s nails the other day and I had never done it before. I wrapped each one in turn loosely in a towel with the leg I was attending to sticking out. They were as good as gold, also I erred on the side of caution and cut less rater than more so as not to cut the quick.

Welcome to the forum :)
I'm still awful at doing nails and i've been doing for over 5 years, i'm in a position now tho that as Duke goes to the vets so often they just get the nail clippers out and do them for him whilst he's under the gas getting his toofies trimmed, less stress for him this way.

yeah i cut the quick the other day to and have been sucessfully trimming nails for about 4 and a half years now gideon was not at all impressed ::)

I have always clipped ours but the vet nurse will do them for you costs £4 once you have been shown you will be fine one of mine is a pain to do ;)

I would take them to the vets too. I think my nurse would have charged £7 but when I took my new 1yr old sow as her nails were long the nurse pointed out that she had really long wicks so her nails were actually ok. If I had attempted them myself god knows what would have happened!

I always find that my pigs behave more at the vets too and wriggle less.

You normally find animals that have black nails have longer quick’s. I always advise people who have never cut guinea pigs nails before to get the vet to show them, this is especially the case when their guineas have black nails. O0

Does your one year old sow have black nails miss_piggy?

miss_piggy said:
I would take them to the vets too. I think my nurse would have charged £7 but when I took my new 1yr old sow as her nails were long the nurse pointed out that she had really long wicks so her nails were actually ok. If I had attempted them myself god knows what would have happened!

I always find that my pigs behave more at the vets too and wriggle less.

You will find if you trim the tip of the nail then the quick will recede slightly and a week later you can trim another tiny bit off until the nails are a decent length. This is what I had to do with Jaspers nails because he was just over 4 months and his nails had never been trimmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back