• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Piggy just had a seizure. Aftercare tips?

Suki&Indie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all, about two hours ago my 8 year old piggy started seizing during a nail clip. We’re just back from the vets (decided to go for an emergency call out as the seizure lasted 5+ minutes) and we have drugs now. I’m mainly looking for advice on aftercare. She’s currently very quiet and sleeping in bed and totally refusing to eat (won’t take her fave foods) is this normal? I think she’s just exhausted but I want to know if it’s normal and when to consider stepping in with emergency food.
Thank you all so much

Hi all, about two hours ago my 8 year old piggy started seizing during a nail clip. We’re just back from the vets (decided to go for an emergency call out as the seizure lasted 5+ minutes) and we have drugs now. I’m mainly looking for advice on aftercare. She’s currently very quiet and sleeping in bed and totally refusing to eat (won’t take her fave foods) is this normal? I think she’s just exhausted but I want to know if it’s normal and when to consider stepping in with emergency food.
Thank you all so much

Please keep her warm but not hot and with the option to move away easily from the source of heat. Please step in with feeding/watering support after the first lot of meds and see how that goes. You may do little but often; do not give more than 0.2 ml at first and see whether your piggy can swallow that; then take it from there. Place a bit of hay close by where she is. More tips via these links here:
All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures
Emergency and Crisis Care as well as Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Looking After Guinea Pigs With Limited or No Mobility

It could be that old age is catching up with her now and that the seizure is related to her body having started to close down. Stop feeding if she is fighting feeding well in excess to her weakness or is unable to swallow; either means that she is unable to process any food. You can find more information should you find yourself in that scenario in the relevant chapter of our feeding guide link above.
I am mentioning this here since it is now late in the evening UK time, just so you know where to find further practical in information and helpful links should things deteriorate overnight but I am of course hoping otherwise and am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Please keep her warm but not hot and with the option to move away easily from the source of heat. Please step in with feeding/watering support after the first lot of meds and see how that goes. You may do little but often; do not give more than 0.2 ml at first and see whether your piggy can swallow that; then take it from there. Place a bit of hay close by where she is. More tips via these links here:
All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures
Emergency and Crisis Care as well as Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Looking After Guinea Pigs With Limited or No Mobility

It could be that old age is catching up with her now and that the seizure is related to her body having started to close down. Stop feeding if she is fighting feeding well in excess to her weakness or is unable to swallow; either means that she is unable to process any food. You can find more information should you find yourself in that scenario in the relevant chapter of our feeding guide link above.
I am mentioning this here since it is now late in the evening UK time, just so you know where to find further practical in information and helpful links should things deteriorate overnight but I am of course hoping otherwise and am keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Thank you so much for the info. She’s woken up and eaten and drank on her own now so fingers crossed it’s a good sign

Thank you so much for the info. She’s woken up and eaten and drank on her own now so fingers crossed it’s a good sign

I sincerely hope so! All the best! Just keep her as comfy, warm and stress-free as possible. Make sure that she has some cucumber accessible in case she is thirsty so she doesn't have to get up for for the bottle if she is not feeling like it.

Seizures always take it out of you. :(

How is your girl today?
Acting like nothing happened! She has a bit of a wobble in her walk but otherwise navigating the cage with no issue. She even ran up to the front of the cage this morning to beg for treats.
The emergency vet phoned me this morning for an update and was pleased that we didn’t need to use the medication and that she was behaving normally.
Side note, the medication I was given is diazepam and I was told to insert it rectally (the vet showed me how) have you ever had to do this? Hope I never have to because I feel I’ll mess it up 😭😭

Acting like nothing happened! She has a bit of a wobble in her walk but otherwise navigating the cage with no issue. She even ran up to the front of the cage this morning to beg for treats.
The emergency vet phoned me this morning for an update and was pleased that we didn’t need to use the medication and that she was behaving normally.
Side note, the medication I was given is diazepam and I was told to insert it rectally (the vet showed me how) have you ever had to do this? Hope I never have to because I feel I’ll mess it up 😭😭

That is great news!

I have heard of diazepam but your vet has to use what they have in stock at the clinic. One of the largest running costs - much more so than salaries - is stocking relatively small amounts of medications, so clinics have to think hard about what they can or cannot afford to have on stock. Diazepam is not something that is commonly prescribed for guinea pigs but then there is extremely little that is actually licensed for them.

Back