Piggy Food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debbie Hardman

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Advice please :soz:...... Baby Gus seems to have great appitite for veggies and his hay but doesnt seem to be eating his nuggets....should i try him on some different food? Feeding burgess excel at mo. Help x

Advice please :soz:...... Baby Gus seems to have great appitite for veggies and his hay but doesnt seem to be eating his nuggets....should i try him on some different food? Feeding burgess excel at mo. Help x

what food was he on before? or is the burgess excel the food he has always had? I'm also very happy to here your using burgess they are a good brand :) and oxbow is another good piggy brand. Also how old is he/she?

As long as he is eating plenty of hay, I would not worry. Some people do not even feed pellets. Hay should make up 80% of a guinea pigs diet.

He is twelve weeks now...was originally fed like a muesli when I got him...but just seemed to pick certain bits out...the tinker. Lol x

You could go back to muesli and then gradually add and increase the amount of pellets while decreasing the muesli. He will then get used to the change slowly.

Don't worry about it though as piggyfan says - not everyone gives nuggets so long as he has a good variety of veg and plenty of hay he will be fine.

I agree with @AbiS
Mine are on a muesli/pellet mix. I get empty bowls with that method, it is more pellet then muesli just keeps them interested too

He is twelve weeks now...was originally fed like a muesli when I got him...but just seemed to pick certain bits out...the tinker. Lol x

lol. well if you have any of his previous pellets start to mix them in giving him more and more over time. Also give him lots of alfalfa hay!

Personally, I would not reintroduce museli as it contains a lot of additives and unhealthy ingredients. Research has show it causes tooth decay in rabbits so I imagine it is the same for guinea pigs.

Personally, I would not reintroduce museli as it contains a lot of additives and unhealthy ingredients. Research has show it causes tooth decay in rabbits so I imagine it is the same for guinea pigs.

A small amount muesli will help get him interested in the pellets until he can fully eat them without it causing any stomach problems

A small amount muesli will help get him interested in the pellets until he can fully eat them without it causing any stomach problems

yes that is very very true! just add a little bit but not a lot. Maybe make a treat? Look up Veggie biscuit treat on youtube or something for piggies and make a treat with the new pellets :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back