Piggy Feather Bottoms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppy'sMum

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Suki my new rescue girl has a long piece of fur that seems to grow down over her bottom like feathers :) I've never had this with a piggy before & have trimmed it slightly as she seems to trail it in the stuff in the litter tray lol :D Do other long haired piggy owners do this?

I also noticed her fur is like two toned, she looks black across her back but when you part the hair underneath she is grey? The hair is really grey tipped with black & it is also incredibly shiny. Could she have a satin gene?

Suki my new rescue girl has a long piece of fur that seems to grow down over her bottom like feathers :) I've never had this with a piggy before & have trimmed it slightly as she seems to trail it in the stuff in the litter tray lol :D Do other long haired piggy owners do this?

I also noticed her fur is like two toned, she looks black across her back but when you part the hair underneath she is grey? The hair is really grey tipped with black & it is also incredibly shiny. Could she have a satin gene?

I have several piggies, full length and crosses that are just long at the bottom. I keep the fully long-haired ones cut short at the end to prevent soiling and matting. With the ones that are not true long hairs (i.e. where the hair doesn't keep growing out), I cut our any mats etc. as and if they occur.

Long hair is a lot lighter in the stem than at the tip; babies are always a lot darker and grow lighter as the hair grows out.
Black has a grey stem in long-haired or agouti piggies.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...-coat-colours-agouti-shadings-roaning.121413/

I had a sow who used to grow long hair just on her bottom (not as magnificent as Terfel's though!) we had to trim it every so often to keep it from getting manky

Reactions: TAN
She might just have some long-haired genes causing her coat to be longer in some places. A lot of mixed-breed pigs end up with a longer 'train' in back. Here's a picture of Hadley when we first brought her home (we do clip the back shorter now to keep things clean and Sundae occasionally barbers her anyhow, but she is still noticeably longer-haired on her hind end and just behind her ears.) My previous sheltie cross, Linney, was similar but we kept her 'tail' cut shorter so we have fewer pics showing her train in all its glory!
10923204_10155147398015557_786036245465234217_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back