Piggy determined to climb and get back to cage

Fluffbabies

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Hi all,

Izzy 's about 6 months old and a new addition to our herd about 12 weeks ago. I saw her by chance listed for free on Gumtree after her young cage mate died suddenly and unexpectedly. I offered to home her as I was worried she would end up in the wrong hands.

She is a very fidgety pig. When being held, you have about 5-10 seconds before she is squirming and reaching to get back to the cage. It doesn't matter where you are she cannot be still. She will constantly try to either dig under something or climb up as high as she can. If she is on my lap she will either try to climb up the back of the sofa or she will leap up onto my chest, then use my mouth and eye sockets to scramble up my face onto my head! This did catch me rather by surprise the first time! :D

She's come out of her shell a lot, gets on with the herd, is becoming braver, comes up to us and has started letting us stroke her in the cage which is lovely to see... The weird thing is on a couple of occasions she's had lovely lap time with another one of our pigs but we don't seem to be able to recreate this. She usually just burrows under the other pig much to their confusion. On a couple of occasions she's settled down because the other pig tells her off then she lays down, relaxes and makes all those happy noises as she splays out.

Now I know not all pigs like being held or handled but has anyone experienced anything like this? Any tips other than involving food? As soon as the food is gone she's the same. Lol

I've had a couple of piggies like this, never still! They do seem to calm down a bit as they age although they have never become lap pigs.

I guess it's nice that she feels safe in the cage and wants to be in there with her new herd mates. She lets us stroke her a bit in the cage and comes up to us to see if we have any food so that's nice. Most of ours have been very soppy. She was almost called Bridget the fidget but she ended up Busy Izzy instead lol. They're all individuals!

Back