• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Piggy body fat

• Thread starter Thread starter piggytoefluff
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

piggytoefluff

My sows are about 9 months old. I've noticed over the last month or so that they have developed a sort of 'ruff' (elizabethan neckwear!) of body fat that lays under their necks and sits on their chests. They don't look fat to me, they look nicely covered. I was wondering if this was a characteristic in older cavies or whether perhaps they've had too many biscuits!
If they are over weight I'll be surprised to be honest, cos they're fed supa guinea excel which I thought was low fat, and they get about 1-2 hours exercise daily. I suppose I could cut down on their biccies... what do you think? Is this normal?

my georgie has one too! never really thought about it before I'm curious now as well :)

This is quite normal and not a health hazard.

What are the biscuits that you are giving your piggies?

Hiya,

I would say it was normal, my Sunshine has this he is a BIG pig in my opinion and weighs in at 900g at 5 months he has the neck thing going on, so cute! What biccies are you giving I'm intriged?

Louise
:)

are you giving human biccies? my pansy and peony both have that, and my bluebell, but they aren't over weight, nicely covered though. :)my bertie doesn't but he's too skiny at the moment.

No no, not people biccies, piggy biccies! 2funny

Burgess Supa Guinea Excel. I thought the nutrition panel looked really good, and also they are uniform size shape and colour so so picking out the junky bits and leaving the rest. When I got them they were eating P@H musli - they only ate the squished peas and the oats + seeds and left everything else! I swapped it over to supa guinea in the first month.
They are pretty heavy - Fluffkin is 1.2kg and Boogie is 980gm. They are the same sort of size and weight as a kitten! :smitten:

awwwwww bless they are a bit on the large side ;)
Supa Guinea Excel is the best thing for them though

xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back