Piggies won’t eat anything unless it’s a 100% fresh

Janee74

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi Guinea pig lovers

I’m pulling my hair out at the moment trying to get my sows something they will eat. They keep turning their noses up at everything I offer them like round lettuce. I don’t think they think it’s fresh enough but I can’t get anything else. Everything was fine a few weeks ago when the lettuce was really fresh, but then we couldn’t get any, and now they are back in the shops they won’t eat any. The salad bags have spinach in them and cost a fortune. They won’t touch the little gem lettuces or the romaine ones and won’t touch the curly leaf ones either. I’m now at a loss about what to do now

I would not worry too much.
Can you offer herbs instead? Coriander is fine to be given daily. Parsley is higher in calcium so not more than once a week. Other favourites of my lot include basil, mint and dill (slightly higher in calcium so feed more sparingly)

Do they get/eat other fresh veg aswell as greens?

As well as lettuce, mine get kale, spring greens, bell peppers, cucumber, celery, carrot, broccoli & fresh herbs.
I also occasionally add things like other types of cabbage, brussel sprouts, parsnips, swede, fruit ect. Also, you could try dandelion leaves if you haven't already xx

Hi Fur & Feathers,
They get cucumber, corn on the cob and peppers as well. They aren’t that keen on dandelion leaves which surprises me. They won’t eat kale, spring greens or cabbage. Buttercup loves apple but Butterscotch won’t go bear it. They are really fussy eaters. They just want super fresh lettuce the most but I can’t get any. I’ve even tried farm shops but that was £1.30 for a round lettuce so can’t afford that x

Have you tried growing your own greens? Heads can be a challenge, especially in warmer weather, when it bolts, but growing loose leaf lettuces is pretty easy. All you need to do is toss some seed in a bowl of potting soil, tousle the top so the seed is semi-covered, put it somewhere sunny, and don't let it dry out. You should have fresh lettuce sprouting within a week or so. Then you just snip and feed! If it starts getting too thin, sprinkle in more seed.

Have you tried growing your own greens? Heads can be a challenge, especially in warmer weather, when it bolts, but growing loose leaf lettuces is pretty easy. All you need to do is toss some seed in a bowl of potting soil, tousle the top so the seed is semi-covered, put it somewhere sunny, and don't let it dry out. You should have fresh lettuce sprouting within a week or so. Then you just snip and feed! If it starts getting too thin, sprinkle in more seed.

Princess Dustmop
That is a wonderful idea but unfortunately my garden has stones and the grass is covered up

Hi piggie lovers

I was just wondering if I was alone in this, but my 2 gorgeous sows who are now 18 and 19 months old, won’t eat anything leafy (any lettuce or salad, etc); unless it’s absolutely 100% fresh. It’s becoming a real difficulty for me now, because of the amount of problems getting anything fresh enough for them, due to interruptions with the supply chain that are often going on. Is this just how piggies are or are my two super fussy about what they eat?

Can you grow some lettuce yourself? It’s very easy to grow in containers - that way you can pick as needed

Mine aren’t that fussy. Are they eating any of it or is it just that they are eating some and leaving some? Could it be that they need smaller portions?

Back