Piggies On Holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chukkin

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I travelled 400 miles yesterday with my piggies to my parents house where we will be staying for two weeks before going back home. I had read up on what type of carrier to use, what should be in it etc, and they seemed to be fine during the journey. I set up their cage with exactly the same things that they get at home so it all smells the same and everything is in the usual place. They are eating ok, but all progress I made with hand-feeding etc seems to have gone! How long does it normally take for piggies to settle into a new environment? Will all my good work have gone down the drain? Will I have to start from scratch when I go back to my own place again?

I have just had my piggies at a pet hotel for a week, and they were shy as well when i dropped them off (well except Misty, she never cares about anything ^^) But when I got them home again they were straight back to the usual! Wheeking and demanding food 24/7 and running around all over the place. They have even taken floor time a step further now and will happily explore the whole flat. So it definitely didnt harm mine :)

Although you have done your best to ensure everything went smoothly, it is still a new environment with new smells so it will take them some time to adjust. Do not worry about the bond being broken as they still know you. Just give it a few days.

Hi Piggyfan, thanks for your reassurance, I was hoping that because it is my old room it will still smell like me, and the fact that I am there will help

You being there will help. Try not to worry as they just need a bit of time to adjust.

It takes time for them to get used to traveling. When we go away in the caravan we do about 40 nights a year away from home. For the first few times they all experienced some nervousness but they quickly got used to it. Astro is now starting his second full season (he has done one and half) and he is well used to it now, Cosmos the same and Twinkle her third and Star is starting her fifth season. Due to their traveling they dont seem to mind new locations as can be seen from the Potteries Xmas Fair last year. They are getting a treat soon by staying a couple of nights at V.I.Piggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back