Piggies not getting along and considering rehome-ing

lavnleepiggyparents

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello! I needed to make an account to get some advice as a newer piggy owner, I am very worried.
So me and my bf adopted 2 female guinea pigs who were in the same enclosure at petsmart (wanted to do shelter but store was closer) and the employees said that they were sisters. We adopted them in January of last year and we didn't get them fixed yet because of money

It started off fine, they were very skittish at first but we expected it! but over time the older one (Penelope) became overly dominant (more than I expected at least) and recently she has been biting or maybe nipping I'm not sure, but she lunges her head forward a bit at the younger one (Pippin) and after they're done Pippin leaves the hide limping a bit and we are getting very concerned. They have a c&c cage that is around 5x5 ft i believe? but they have some space. We have a couple of hides for them but they are 1 exit only and Pippin gets trapped by Penelope and gets the nips/bites(?) when she starts screaming

We don't have much of a relationship with Pippin because she is very closed off (really sad to say this bc she is mine </3 ) but we get along with Penelope well and we didn't want to seperate them because they are social animals but it's starting to seem like a last resort. Even if we love them cuz they're our babies
I am trying to get a job to save up to get them fixed but I don't know if their relationship has failed or not
We really don't know what to do.

Welcome to the forum

You do not need to get them fixed (spayed). There is no need to do so - it doesn’t make them get on. Spaying sows is a big operation and usually done on medical grounds such as if they are diagnosed with ovarian cysts or uterine problems.

Please remove all one exit hides. All hides should always have two exits to prevent the issues you are facing is one trapping the other inside.

The screaming is most likely submission. She is telling Penelope that she is no threat to her position in the hierarchy

On its own, dominance is normal. Nipping is a gesture of power and is not biting. Nipping does not break the skin.
Lunging is a strong way of telling the other to leave them alone. You can find it happening in a dominant piggy who is unsure of themself.

You need to be sure of what you are seeing before you intervene. You do not want to step in for normal dominance but if the bond is in trouble then action may need to be taken.

Please read the guides below as they explain everything and what to do more fully than we can type in every post.

If a bond has determined to have failed ie they are fighting (the sow equivalent is ripping hair out of each other), or you are finding actual wounds and bite marks then they would need to be separated and live in side by side cages. Living side by side still allows through the bar interaction and communication and prevents loneliness but means they don’t have the stress of sharing a territory with a piggy they can’t get on with

Back