Piggies not eating much hay

cinnamonandfudge

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Why aren’t my piggies eating much hay anymore? I Haven’t changed it I have Timothy hay

A similar thing is happening with my guinea pig. He would only eat hay again when I bought a different type. I'm assuming he just got sick of the same type of hay all the time.
Sorry I can't offer much advice.

Please ensure you are weighing your piggies every week as part of routine care but switching to daily weight checks when you have concerns about them. This enables you to monitor their hay intake and step in if needed.

If it is both of them then I would also say it’s the hay and perhaps you ought to try a different batch and see if that helps

A similar thing is happening with my guinea pig. He would only eat hay again when I bought a different type. I'm assuming he just got sick of the same type of hay all the time.
Sorry I can't offer much advice.

Please check with yours that this is not down to overheating/too hot water as you are in the middle of summer in Australia .
Sometimes the hay just doesn't taste great (storage, weather) or it is from a different cut/harvest. Guinea pigs have about double the number of taste buds to humans. Hay is a natural product after all.
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

Thanks @Wiebke 👍 It was a bit of a mystery why he had just stopped eating hay and it was starting to cause problems. I didn't think it could be down to overheating, storage or the harvest.

Back