Piggies Not Drinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss_piggie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all,I've noticed that my pigs aren't drinking a lot of water during the day. It's getting quite hot here in Queensland and I'm worried that they will become dehydrated. What can I do to make sure they are getting sufficient water intake?

Hi , lf you are worried about water intake , try giving watery veg like cucumber , mine love it , though dont
Overdo it , or they may get poo problems :tu:

If they have water bottles make sure the spouts and bottles are kept very clean(rinse out in warm soapy water regularly - a cotton bud is handy for cleaning inside the spout - rinse well and leave to dry) as any taint to the water might put them off, plus algae and bacteria will flourish in warmer weather. Water bowls should also be washed and refilled several times a day - piggies can turn their noses up at stale water!
If you are feeding veggies leave some water on them after rinsing, cucumber and melon are a good water-content foods but don't overfeed as loose poo can occur. Hope that might help. Keep them shaded as much as you can, a tower fan placed nearby BUT NOT BLOWING DIRECTLY AT THEM can help to lower the air temperature nearby. :cool:

I have been and they scoff it down. How often do I give them veggies that are high in water?

They have to stay outside. Which is hard as my grass has lots of strange weeds and things growing everywhere. I have limited areas that I can place them but I do try and make things as comfortable as possible for them. I even lightly mist them with water every now and then and place frozen packs in their hutch.

Ah, OK, they are outside piggies! Sounds like you are doing lots of things to help them keep cool. If the poos go loose you will be feeding too much - twice a day to start with and increase a bit if bowels stay normal. They are obviously enjoying it! I think there is a thread on the forum about hot weather tips - I will go look for it now and copy the link over for you. bear with me for a few minutes.....................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back