piggies getting used to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
hi,
I'm just wondering how long it takes for a guinea pig to get used to you when you get them, i have 2 piggies, i had them for about 6 weeks now, one of them is better than the other, lets us pick her up but sometimes she still runs away. the other one hardly ever lets us pick her up and the only time she does is when she is scared. does anyone know how long it will take?

I have had my 2 boys for about 8 weeks, they were the same.
One got used to me pretty quickly (after about 4 weeks) and will be picked up without much of a problem now, the other wasn’t keen on being picked up and still isn’t, he runs away from being picked up, won’t be bribed out with food, but as soon as I get him out of the cage and onto my lap he is fine, eats, will be stroked, anything, just won’t be messed about with in the cage.

I just pick him up gently but swiftly, talking to him all the time, he’s just naturally shy.

I had thee boars and the eldest were very social. The trick is letting them out for play time and totaly ignoring them. Read a book or watch TV for about an hour. They'll soon come over to see what's happening and before you know it they'll be following you around the room. It took me 2-3 months to get to that stage but they still didn't didn't let me pick them up if they wern't in the mood. Some piggies just hate being carried.

mines the same. she hates to be picked up when she in the cage and at floor time she will come to me and be stroked and will follow me in the hope of food but any hint of me going to pick her up and off she goes! she fine at lap time and will be stroked. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back