Piggies getting bored of pellets

PiggieBoo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have two piggies (both rounding 4 years old) and I’ve noticed that they don’t like their food as much as they used to. I usually buy them a forage mix that has pellets and dried pieces in it. I get the bags from either the kayte or full cheeks brand. They keep dumping it in the corner of the cages and using the bathroom on it. What food brand should I try without spending an extreme amount of money?

Welcome to the forum

If you mean it’s a muesli mix then they should be avoided.

You are looking for a plain pellet (one where every piece looks exactly the same).
In the UK, a grass based pellet such as Piggie Parcels would be well recommended.
Other commercials brands such as oxbow or burgess are also fine. You are looking for a pellet based with Timothy hay ideally without grains or alfalfa.

No matter what brand you feed, pellets are not their main food source. They should just have one tablespoon per pig per day . Pellets are the expendable part of the diet and they don’t actually need to have any provided they get lots of hay and grass and a variety of veggies to ensure good nutrition.

Nugget Comparison Chart
Pellets Or Muesli / Dry Mix?

Thank you! I feed them hay as well. I thought pellets were a requirement all of these years. Good to know, I’ll stop feeding them the pellets with the dried stuff in it.

Hay and grass is their main food source.
Veg is one cup per pig per day.

I only feed pellets three times a week (going to be reducing it to two days a week) as a treat and even then they only get a few (about 6-10 pellets each)

My boys get one spoonful of Oxbow pellets daily and they love it. They get endless supply of hay and daily veggies. Romaine lettuce is their daily veggie, and other veggies only occasionally. Blueberry is their favorite but they only get it when I have them available.

I went to PetSmart today and bought a bag of Timothy hay pellets- hopefully it will work. If it doesn’t I’ll just increase the veggies.

My boys get one spoonful of Oxbow pellets daily and they love it. They get endless supply of hay and daily veggies. Romaine lettuce is their daily veggie, and other veggies only occasionally. Blueberry is their favorite but they only get it when I have them available.

Mine also love them some blueberries.

Goodluck ! i feed a selection of pellets so they do not get fixated on one type of pellet.i hope they keep eating !

Back