Piggies friend passed

Lila

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi there!

So last night our poor piggy Nutella passed away leaving behind his brother Cashew.

From what I researched I was told to show cashew Nutella’s body so he can understand what has happened to his brother, so that’s exactly what I did and yet Cashew seems completely unbothered.

Now I’m by no means complaining because of course I don’t want Cashew to be depressed over the loss of his brother, but it seems strange to me as they have been together since birth.

So I’m just wondering if this is normal behaviour? I think it could be because whilst they got along they wasn’t known for snuggling together and being together all the time, we even had to separate them a few times but they always wanted to bond again afterwards.

I also am wondering if it could be a delayed reaction? Obviously if there is a chance of him getting depressed still then I want to make sure to keep an eye out for it.

And info would be appreciated!

I’m sort for your loss.
It is a very normal reaction. If a piggy had been unwell before passing away then the companion is aware (often before the humans) and they begin their process. It doesn’t mean he isn’t bothered, and he will be grieving.

Not snuggling together etc is also very normal and does not mean there were ever any bond problems. It is a myth that pairs will snuggle - most never will.

Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig

Hi there!

So last night our poor piggy Nutella passed away leaving behind his brother Cashew.

From what I researched I was told to show cashew Nutella’s body so he can understand what has happened to his brother, so that’s exactly what I did and yet Cashew seems completely unbothered.

Now I’m by no means complaining because of course I don’t want Cashew to be depressed over the loss of his brother, but it seems strange to me as they have been together since birth.

So I’m just wondering if this is normal behaviour? I think it could be because whilst they got along they wasn’t known for snuggling together and being together all the time, we even had to separate them a few times but they always wanted to bond again afterwards.

I also am wondering if it could be a delayed reaction? Obviously if there is a chance of him getting depressed still then I want to make sure to keep an eye out for it.

And info would be appreciated!

Hi and welcome

I am ever so sorry that Nutella has passed away.

Yes, this is totally normal behaviour for a guinea pig that has already taken leave of their dying mate. Guinea pigs who are feeling very ill will remove themselves from the group; the companions may visit shortly to say goodbye but will otherwise ignore the piggy. Only piggies with separation issues/strong emotional dependency will stay, whether that is a closely bonded companion or the dying piggy themselves.
In a cage setting, there are obviously spatial issues with the removal so the process is often not as obvious.This process is also not well known amongst owners due to the cage restraints.

We recommend to show a body if this is possible on this forum but not be upset if it is ignored because the leave taking has already taken part. Guinea pigs have much finer senses and are usually aware of a health issue well before we humans. Sudden changes in the companions' behaviour have repeatedly alerted me to an emergency or a frail piggy's body shutting down (natural death).

You can find some very practical advice for the coming days in this guide link here, which we have specifically written for owners of a bereaved guinea pig, so they can support appropriately in a nuanced way that orients itself on how the companion is able to deal with the loss and gives them space to do their own grieving and allows a compromise with your own human needs if at all possible.
You may find it very helpful: Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig

We also have a sensitive but practical guide for grieving owners, especially those who have never been confronted with death and feel swamped or confused by the strength or direction of their emotions: Human Bereavement: Grieving, Processing and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

Hi and welcome

I am ever so sorry that Nutella has passed away.
Yes, this is totally normal behaviour for a guinea pig that has already taken leave of their dying mate. Guinea pigs who are feeling very ill will remove themselves from the group; the companions may visit shortly to say goodbye but will otherwise ignore the piggy. Only piggies with separation issues will stay, whether that is a closely bonded companion or the dying piggy themselves.
In a cage setting, there are obviously spatial issues with the removal so the process is often not as obvious.This process is also not well known amongst owners due to the cage restraints.

We recommend to show a body if this is possible on this forum but not be upset if it is ignored because the leave taking has already taken part. Guinea pigs have much finer senses and are usually aware of a health issue well before we humans. Sudden changes in the companions' behaviour have repeatedly alerted me to an emergency or a frail piggy's body shutting down (natural death).

You can find some very practical advice for the coming days in this guide link here, which we have specifically written for owners of a bereaved guinea pig, so they can support appropriately in a nuanced way that orients itself on how the companion is able to deal with the loss and gives them space to do their own grieving and allows a compromise with your own human needs if at all possible.
You may find it very helpful: Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig

We also have a sensitive but practical guide for grieving owners, especially those who have never been confronted with death and feel swamped or confused by the strength or direction of their emotions: Human Bereavement: Grieving, Processing and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children
Ah I see, interesting. Thank you for the info!

Very interesting to read your post, thankyou. My Abyssinian piggie left his snuggly world on Easter Monday. We are devasted as only 2 years old, a few weeks before he passed i noticed one night when he sat with me that he was a little lethargic or just couldnt be bothered, he normally wants to go back to his house after 10 mins, my other piggie just sat at the side of him as if to say I'm here, i thought he was having an off day, the next day i checked on him regularly throughout the day & he was fine eating drinking, popcorning, weeing etc, he was fine to my knowledge, my other piggie could have known from that day something was wrong with him & stayed by his side to comfort him, they never really sat together unless i went to the cage & they run off to the corner together, but maybe the one thats left suspected something was wrong with him, i dont know, the one thats left is fine, I've just nipped home to see him, gave him a cuddle & a treat hes now sleeping on his fluffy cushion, hes so cute, i miss my Abyssinian piggie so much its hurts & to not see them together now breaks my heart, especially when I'm chopping vegetables in the kitchen & they both use to come wheeking to the door it breaks my heart, thankyou for reading & understanding, i just dont know whether to get another one just yet, never thought would be in this situation so soon, were so upset, love to you all x

Back