Piggies don’t talk

Widdlepiggies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My 1 year old boy Monty never was a talker. I never once heard him squeak aloud. Only when i hold him close to my ear i can hear him try sometimes and the softest squeaky sounds may come out.
He was always with his boar friend Loopy who was very talkative and didn’t mind Monty not really talking back. Loopy just kept on making beautiful loud noises on his own.
Sadly Loopy past a couple months ago, i still mis his beautiful sounds.

I got Monty a new little friend Spooky. When i got Spooky he was making loud noises and talking a lot. But i noticed he stopped making noises. I feel like it’s because Monty doesn’t really talk back to him. He hears my other piggies in a cage next to them talking a lot, but he does not respond to them. He definitely hears them, but doesn’t talk back. Spooky and Monty seem very happy and active tho, and when i crackle a bag they come running and popcorning, they just don’t really make noises anymore. Anyone else have a non talking piggy? I feel like Monty physically can’t, he just breathes hard sometimes when he tries. But Spooky definitely can but he somehow hardly ever does anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_7175.webp
    IMG_7175.webp
    118.2 KB · Views: 1
My Dexter used to chat but as he got older he didn’t do it as much, and when he tried it was quite feeble and not much came out. Strangely in the week before he died he started making quite raspy weak wheeks again.

Popcorn has only ever shrieked in protest when I’m trying to do anything with him - nail clipping etc.

Wilbur doesn’t say a huge amount.

Hugo is so loud though. He is constantly shouting so loudly that I can hear him from the other side of the garden!

Hi

Piggies vary every bit as much in personality as humans. You have the strong silent types that hardly ever talk as adults (guinea pig communicate a lot with body language) and you have piggies that just cannot shut up even if their life depends on it - and everything in between. Youngsters will pick up their cues from their elders to some degree, as much as their own personality allows them to.

Some adults can lose their big wheek and just sound hoarse. It is nothing to worry about.

Iris has never said much. Venetia is also quite quiet but occasionally chatters at me. Guinevere (Venetia’s sister) was very talkative so it’s much quieter since she moved out. This is the quietest piggy grouping I’ve ever had. But they all vary in their chattiness.

Of my past RB boars, Boris seldom made a sound, nor did Ralphie or Mr Ted. But Felix was a chatterer. In recent years Hazel was the most chatty pig we had (she couldn’t keep quiet), Holly was a good wheeker, so was Evie until she lost her wheek in later life. It just depends on their personalities, really.

Funny how different our pigs are.

Lily will wake up my neighbours screaming for food, she’s also a big chirper.

Rosie only talks when she has something to complain about. And when she does, have mercy. Just last night she went on a rant about what a big meanie Lily is (she took a wee on her (and Rosie was not to blame of course)).

Mischievous Master Boris is definitely the designated wheeker although Dignified Sir George will join in if he gets a sniff of basil.
Both boys are chutters and at lap time Sir George tells us all about his day.

Back