Piggies Don't Like Being Held/touched

Status
Not open for further replies.

garbanzo89

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I got some piggies for the first time a few months ago, but I've had very hard time bonding with them. They don't seem to like being touched, much less held. They hate being picked up (I use a cozy to pick them up not randomly grab them). Not sure what to do :(

I got some piggies for the first time a few months ago, but I've had very hard time bonding with them. They don't seem to like being touched, much less held. They hate being picked up (I use a cozy to pick them up not randomly grab them). Not sure what to do :(

Not all ginea pigs like to be held and handled; actually a lot of them don't.Try to snuggle them under a blanket on your lap so they get comfy around you and ideally fall asleep at some point.

You may find this thread here helpful in making better friends with your guinea pigs. How To Understand Guinea Pig Instincts And Speak Piggy Body Language

Not all ginea pigs like to be held and handled; actually a lot of them don't.Try to snuggle them under a blanket on your lap so they get comfy around you and ideally fall asleep at some point.

You may find this thread here helpful in making better friends with your guinea pigs. How To Understand Guinea Pig Instincts And Speak Piggy Body Language
Thank you! Whenever I try to hold one on my lap, it's almost like I can feel their stress/fear. The last thing I want is to put them in an uncomfortable situation :(

Thank you! Whenever I try to hold one on my lap, it's almost like I can feel their stress/fear. The last thing I want is to put them in an uncomfortable situation :(

I have had good success with very skittish piggies of mine with the under the pullover or blanket snuggles with my own. It is cosy and warm, and eventually the piggies will learn to relax against your body. It may take a few sessions, but you will eventually get there. In the overall scheme of things, it is is still early days. You may also find the tips in my link helpful to tell your guinea pigs in their own language that you want to be their friend and that you are not predator. Don't give up, be patient and persist. Trust is a plant that takes time to make roots, but once it is growing, it will be forever and is all the more precious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back