Piggies arrived yesterday!

Qpigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My wonderful MIL helped us find our piggies and bought all the supplies. And surprised us with them 2 weeks earlier than expected! It was my son's 10th birthday on Thursday - although these are not 'birthday pets', we've thought long and hard about getting them; they are also not his, they are a family pet (just in case you were wondering!)

As a generally anxious person, this has been a bit of a whirlwind (my husband is the chill, go with the flow type, so he's fine with this all). She also hasn't bought what I had in mind. The cage is store-bought, I think a Ferplast 100 so too small - they are still so dinky, so I'm taking a deep breath and waiting for my Amazon C&C to arrive.

I've put my order of Piggie Parcel Pellets in, but they won't arrive until the end of the week. They have both meadow and Timothy hay, and veg has disappeared so far. MIL had bought unsuitable muesli type food, so I'm not opening that. Anything extra I need to give until the pellets arrive? We did try a dandelion yesterday which also disappeared.

I'm very excited but overwhelmed. They are approximately 10 week old sisters and are nameless currently. We had a few names in mind but wanted to meet them and see what suited first.

What a start to our piggie journey!

Attachments

• 20230501_065622.webp
    20230501_065622.webp
    61.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230501_064447.webp
    20230501_064447.webp
    52.4 KB · Views: 35
Congratulations!

It sounds as if you have everything in hand. It’s lovely your mother in law has got you these things, but you are right, the cage, muesli feed etc are not suitable. You know this though and are preparing to make things better which is great!

Hay and veg is absolutely fine, you don’t need to give them anything else.

We are here if you need to ask anything

Yay. Welcome to the world of piggy parents. When I first got mine I was so anxious. But it does wear off a bit. Lol.

I’m pleased they are not just your sons. When I got my two children four piggies when they were younger I totally knew they would lose interest and they’d end up being mine. They loved to cuddle them but I did the dirty work. 😀. Good luck. I can’t wait to see some pictures when they have settled in.

I use my ferplast 100 as a travel cage as it fits in the car nicely. I’ve also got a ferplast 160 (I think). I use that as a play cage for my two boys to give them a change of scenery and they live in a hutch.

Ah piggies are so sweet when they’re babies.
You’ve clearly thought everything thru !
It is an anxious time with two new pets to care for.
I can remember being just like that ( I suffer with anxiety ) , checking they were drinking worried about enough food etc but the intense anxiety does go away and will be easier. I have to make sure I have plenty of hay in reserve etc.
Keep showing the pictures and we can’t wait to find out their names ❤️

When I first brought home Comet & Blitzen they were an unplanned "well I'll go to P@H and just...look", which didn't happen lol. They came back in a Ferplast 100 too. They were just before their teens at that stage but I had long enough to wait for a more appropriate cage to turn up, they coped just fine for a couple of days. Heck the space they'd been in at P@H was smaller.

Take a deep breath and relax! We were all new owners once. We all still get stuff that's new or alien to us, soon your girls will be doing something daft and you'll be wondering where they learned it from.

Welcome to the forum.
The piggies are so cute and your MIL is lovely buying all the stuff for them.
You can gently educate her as you learn.

We all are beginners at some point.
We love pictures and look forward to getting to know you and your piggies

Welcome to piggy world! Don't worry about the cage for now, they're so small that they'll be fine in it until the new one arrives.
It sounds like you'll be a great piggy parent!

It sounds like you are already very knowledgeable and have an excellent plan in place.
The C&C cage and the pellets are clearly well thought out choices.

Honestly we bought ours home in a totally inappropriate cage, and i was convinced they were all going to die the first week I had them, but honestly owning piggies just changed our lives and was the most wonderful adventure for our entire family.

Back