Piggie weights.

Jenni85

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Good Morning. I weighed the girls this morning. Last Thursday Virgil weighed 284g and today she weighed 346g a gain of 62g. Darwin weighed 240g last week and today weighed in at 291g a gain of 51g. They're approx 9 to 11 weeks old. Does this seem healthy? To much in a week? Not enough?

Thank you 😊

That’s fine - as long as they are going up!
A good diet of unlimited hay, one cup of veg (mostly leafy green veg) per pig per day and one tablespoon of pellets per pig per day and they will do just fine

Weight - Monitoring and Management
Oh yeah, they love their hay. 3 times i put a big pile in yesterday. I'm having a bit of trouble with finding veg they'll eat to be honest. I've tried spinach, savoy cabbage (can't find spring greens anywhere) coriander, romaine lettuce, pak choi, red peppers, cucumber. All they've eaten is. The romaine, nibbled the leaves off the pak choi and nibbled the cucumber.

It can take a while to become accustomed to new foods. If they were pet shop piggies then they are unlikely to have been exposed to much so will need time. Keep trying with the same item for a while. Lettuce, cucumber, bell pepper and coriander are safe daily foods. Everything else needs to be in moderation and rotation. cabbage and any member of the brassica family can lead to gas so don’t overdo those. Spinach is high calcium so should only be given a couple of leaves once a week. I tend to only feed mine veg which I buy for us and give a bit to piggies - the only thing I buy specifically for the piggies is the coriander!
A thin slice of spring greens once a week is fine though as it provides a balance of other nutrients.

It can take a while to become accustomed to new foods. If they were pet shop piggies then they are unlikely to have been exposed to much so will need time. Keep trying with the same item for a while. Lettuce, cucumber, bell pepper and coriander are safe daily foods. Everything else needs to be in moderation and rotation. cabbage and any member of the brassica family can lead to gas so don’t overdo those. Spinach is high calcium so should only be given a couple of leaves once a week. I tend to only feed mine veg which I buy for us and give a bit to piggies - the only thing I buy specifically for the piggies is the coriander!
A thin slice of spring greens once a week is fine though as it provides a balance of other nutrients.
Yeah, they're pet shop piggies. That's good to know that it could just be an adjustment. Should I just persevere and put the veg in? They liked baby corn and apple too but I've since learnt that they're just occasional treats because of the sugars.

Yeah, they're pet shop piggies. That's good to know that it could just be an adjustment. Should I just persevere and put the veg in? They liked baby corn and apple too but I've since learnt that they're just occasional treats because of the sugars.

Yes definitely persevere.
Yes just treats for the corn and apple

Weigh Day.

Willow has gained 40g in a week and Blossom has gained a whopping 74g. I read between 30 and 50g a week at this age is normal so Blossom is a piggy pig.

Back