Piggie Shampoo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yipchip

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My two pigs are starting to stink a bit, and I figured I should buy some shampoo for them when they need it. In this past I would bathe without shampoo, but I felt like all I was doing was getting them wet. I was wondering if there were any piggie friendly baby shampoos, or what the best guinea pig shampoos are.

If postage costs too much for Gorgeous Guineas, I'm fairly sure Johnson's Baby Shampoo is okay in very small amounts if it's not used regularly. If you decide to use it I would advise just rubbing it on the hairs that smell rather than massaging into the skin as it could dry it out, but it is unlikely; any shampoo whether it's for guinea pigs or not will dry out the skin if it's used too much! But I agree with @PiggyOwner , Gorgeous Guineas is definitely a great place to get shampoos for piggies.

I've heard vetsect is the best shampoo. I only use johnsons small animal shampoo from pets at home

I have used both, and I found that using Gorgegous Guineas gives me the variety for whatever condition I am working with. Always keep plenty stock of a few different ones.

@helen105281 has advised me that before you use shampoo's you should patch test them on the bald spot behind the ears and keep an eye on it for 48 hours just to make sure they aren't sensitive to the ingredients :) (I think I got right, but I'm sure Helen will correct me if I'm wrong :) ).

You can buy johnsons small animal shampoo in either the yellow liquid (repels mites etc) or the clear one (deoderising).

These are actually very good shampoos and are inexpensive. I've heard lots of good things about gorgeous guinea shampoos but i have had no reason to change yet :) i wouldnt use the yellow johnstons one as a treatment for mites, that would need a vet, but its good for general washing. I alternate between the two and all my girls, long and short haired, have clean coats and healthy looking skin and hair :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back