• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

!Piggie not quite usual!

Piggiefriend

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello! I have two guinea pigs aged 2 and 1 and the older one seemed a bit quiter today. She is eating but only if i place the food in her house and she is sometimes sleeping outside her house. She usually squeeks when i feed her which she didn’t do today, however she ate some parsley once i put it in her house. Poo seems to be normal but not as much as usuall. I checked to see if the other piggie was upsetting her and that is not the case. We are rining the vet in the morning and hope they have an appointment for her but for now does anyone have any idea what is could be? I have lost 2 piggies already and I can’t bear to loose another so any help/advise is very much appreciated! Thank you!

We can’t know what is wrong with your piggy, but what you must do is switch from the routine weekly weighing to weighing her every day for the duration of her illness. If she is pooping less than normal, then it can mean her hay intake is reduced. Eating the odd piece of herb isn’t enough. If she loses weight and isn’t eating much hay then you must step in and syringe feed her. Ensure hay is near and available to her at all times.

I hope the vet can find out what is going on with her. In the meantime the guides below give further information .

Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

We can’t know what is wrong with your piggy, but what you must do is switch from the routine weekly weighing to weighing her every day for the duration of her illness. If she is pooping less than normal, then it can mean her hay intake is reduced. Eating the odd piece of herb isn’t enough. If she loses weight and isn’t eating much hay then you must step in and syringe feed her. Ensure hay is near and available to her at all times.

I hope the vet can find out what is going on with her. In the meantime the guides below give further information .

Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Okay thank you!

Welcome to the forum.
I echo the advice to get a vet check.
It’s always a good idea if you have any concern about a piggy’s health.
Hope it’s nothing serious.
Keep us posted please

Thank you everyone for your advise. The vet said the limited movement is due to the other guinea pig pushing her back to her house and the feed as there was a scratch on her back! Hopefully her movement and eating will improve!

Thank you everyone for your advise. The vet said the limited movement is due to the other guinea pig pushing her back to her house and the feed as there was a scratch on her back! Hopefully her movement and eating will improve!

So the vet has definitely ruled out a health issue, but has suggested there could be a bond issue? Or is this just a one off blip - perhaps a strong season etc? Are things better between them now? You did say you hadn’t noticed anything going on between them though.
If actual bullying is occurring, it is something you must keep an eye on. Daily weighing will be a helpful tool - a bullied piggy can often lose weight through reduced food intake. It’s so important to ensure she is healthy before looking to bond issues but the guide below will help
Bonds In Trouble

Last edited:
Did you see her being pushed back to the house? Or notice any other odd behaviour between them?

Back