• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

piggie not eating veg

• Thread starter Thread starter cgibson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cgibson

hi,
My piggie loves his veg, but not recently, he seems to have gone off it. He will still eat hay and grass though.

He used to drink a lot of water but i havent seen him drink any for a couple of days. I have a big cardboard tunnell in the cage and he would rather eat that than his veg.

The other piggie has stared to pick on him, so just wondering if that could be the trouble.

if anybody has any ideas, please let me know as i am new to this.

thanks
carol

Welcome to the forum :)

Piggies get most of their water through their fresh fruit and veg, so if he doesn't drink as often then it's no problem.

You said that he gets picked on, could it be that he is taking all of the food?

Or maybe he has just gone off his usual food and needs a change? No other signs or symptoms of illness?

Good luck, hope to hear more soon :)

thanks for replying to me.

I have been giving him the same veg twice a day.
He used to stand on his back legs when he heard me coming to feed him, he loved cucumber but is not bothered now.
think i will just give them grass and hay for a couple of days and see what happens.

Is that a good idea.
he has no other signs of illness, apart from his eyes look a bit cloudy, could this be cataracts, he is 4 years old.

than you

maybe he is bored with his veg? Piggies can be very picky, mine are. Try something he hasnt had before maybe? Have a look at the guinea pig shopping list under food. It is a comprehensive list of all the things they can have O0

Agree, he could be bored with his veg. I don't think it would do any harm to have a little visit to the vets just to make sure he is O.K. Guinea pigs very rarely show illness, hen they do it is normally quite serious or it is to late to do anything. :)

cgibson said:
he has no other signs of illness, apart from his eyes look a bit cloudy, could this be cataracts, he is 4 years old.

Could well be cataracts, but wouldn't really put him off his food :)

I would though, introduce new foods to him :)

Is he eating normally apart from his veg? He hasn't cut down on his hay or cereal? :)

HI,
He is eating his hay and cereal ok, we give him grass every day and he is eating that ok aswell. its just his veggies he seems to have gone off.

thanks

I would try him with some different veg, check the list of veggies that you can feed them or just ask any of us, we will be glad to be of help!

THis is exactly the same symptoms that my boy Captain is showing! Will eat grass but veggies are now being left. Or just little nibbles here and there.

He used to love his veg esp. his carrot but he is leaving that at the moment.

I took him to the vets but there was nothing wrong. So I put in some new tastes to stimulate him. I replaced his spring greens for some kale and bought some fresh, raw beetroot. I had to peel the beetroot as it has a tough skin and I gave him a small chunk. Wow! He went beserk over it. I am still providing him with carrot but just a small chunk.

Here's some other foods which you could try, if you haven't already got them on your list.

Baby sweetcorn.
Sweetcorn husks (a winner!), including the stringy bits. Can also give him a slice of the fresh cob too. Difficult to cut though! You need a really large knife to slice through it.
Carrot tops (another winner!). Captain loves these! I have to buy organic carrots now as they are the only ones that you can buy with the green tops attached. If you are UK based, Sainsburys sell them.
Pear
Chopped up grape. Not many though as they are acidic.
Dandelion leaves and also the stalks of the flowers.

These seem to be Captains new favourites.

I just think they are fussy and like a bit of variation!

hi,

i bought a bag of baby leaf salad from asda, it has chard, coral lettuce, spinach, rocket and tatsoi in it and he ate that ok.

I have gave him grapes, celery, plenty of grass and hay and dandelions out of the garden. he seems to have perked up a bit now.

Will still try and give him something different.

thanks for your advice.

thanks

Hi,
this is for kellyandpiggies.

can you post a bigger picture of your black piggie that is on the small pic, my bobby is exactly the same as yours.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back