• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Piggie hasn't eaten in 3 weeks - Poo Soup?

Gayles Piggies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My piggie (a satin) had a UTI several weeks ago and then started losing weight. She's two years old and no other symptoms of being a satin beside her coat.

I was syringe feeding her with Emeraid, and then Emer aid and pellets, and now I'm just doing pellets. She's dropped 20% of her weight (1,000 to 800 grams). I'm feeding her every 2-3 hours throughout the day to maintain her weight. She's been to our exotic pet vet multiple times - her teeth are in fine shape. She seems to eat on her own just after I'm done syringe feeding her. Two days ago the vet tried sucralfate 3x daily. Immediately after getting it, she seems to feel better and eat on her own. I called them again today - her stomach is rumbling and her poops have never gotten dark again after cutting back and stopping the Emer aid (which would make them very light colored).

QUESTION: I've been reading through the forum and ran into the poop soup (soaking fresh poop from a healthy pig and syringing the water for the bacteria). The vet recommended live culture yogurt - but I'm thinking the poop soup is a better idea. I have three other healthy piggies - so I have access to the healthy poop.

I'm just asking if this seems like a reasonable next step? It is killing me to watch her be miserable and not being able to help her. I'm ready to try anything ....

What I should have also said is that she first stopped eating because she was taking Cipro with a UTI and it's gone down hill from there. There are some nights she holds her weight over night and eats and others where she loses 20 grams over night.

I think the poo soup is a good idea - but not sure how much water to soak it in and if giving it twice a day would be ok - at least in the beginning.

I’m sorry to hear she is unwell.
Please don’t give yogurt - they can’t eat that kind of thing and is not good advice.

This is our guide for poop soup.
She only needs a couple of ml of the water, a couple of times a day is absolutely fine

My piggie (a satin) had a UTI several weeks ago and then started losing weight. She's two years old and no other symptoms of being a satin beside her coat.

I was syringe feeding her with Emeraid, and then Emer aid and pellets, and now I'm just doing pellets. She's dropped 20% of her weight (1,000 to 800 grams). I'm feeding her every 2-3 hours throughout the day to maintain her weight. She's been to our exotic pet vet multiple times - her teeth are in fine shape. She seems to eat on her own just after I'm done syringe feeding her. Two days ago the vet tried sucralfate 3x daily. Immediately after getting it, she seems to feel better and eat on her own. I called them again today - her stomach is rumbling and her poops have never gotten dark again after cutting back and stopping the Emer aid (which would make them very light colored).

QUESTION: I've been reading through the forum and ran into the poop soup (soaking fresh poop from a healthy pig and syringing the water for the bacteria). The vet recommended live culture yogurt - but I'm thinking the poop soup is a better idea. I have three other healthy piggies - so I have access to the healthy poop.

I'm just asking if this seems like a reasonable next step? It is killing me to watch her be miserable and not being able to help her. I'm ready to try anything ....

What I should have also said is that she first stopped eating because she was taking Cipro with a UTI and it's gone down hill from there. There are some nights she holds her weight over night and eats and others where she loses 20 grams over night.

I think the poo soup is a good idea - but not sure how much water to soak it in and if giving it twice a day would be ok - at least in the beginning.

Hi

I am ever so sorry. You are clearly a very devoted piggy slave. Once the digestive tract goes off piste due to a negative response to whatever medication (most commonly antibiotics or GA drugs), it can be so difficult to get it back on track.

I would recommend that you try a combination of both benebac plus (which is a US brand) and twice daily poo soup. Benebac powder you can give any way you want: mixed into your syringe feed, sprinkled on some favourite veg or syringed in a little water.

One is a live piggy microbiome transfer and the other is encapsule herbivore microbiome. They are not the same.

Suddenly, three pigs who poop ALL the time have decided to withhold the gold. My little girl, who was Fig's kennel mate until they decided they didn't like each other anymore, has been holding out for over 30 minutes - hahahahaha! She must know I want the poop!

Suddenly, three pigs who poop ALL the time have decided to withhold the gold. My little girl, who was Fig's kennel mate until they decided they didn't like each other anymore, has been holding out for over 30 minutes - hahahahaha! She must know I want the poop!

Put her on a towel on your lap and feed her pellets or veg. Eating usually send a signal to the gut to please move things on and make space in there. Have a small dish with just enough water to cover the poos and a syringe ready next to you. Syinge the mix as soon as the water starts discolouring when you gently swish it around. If you can, about 3 ml of it. ;)

Back