Piggie chewing the bars

• Thread starter Thread starter baby piggie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

baby piggie

My piggie has a habit of chewing and gnawing on bars, he has toys to chew on but he still prefers to chew on the bars, this wont harm in any way will it? :)

It is possible he could break his teeth, you would have to watch out for that. Is there any possible reason he is doing it? like trying to get out or smelling other piggies nearby?

that's what I'm scared of, that he will snap his teeth, there is no other piggies about and he doesn't seem bothered about escaping :-\ i guess i will just need to keep an eye on him.

Does he live on his own? It is possible he is doing it out of boredom. Piggies need quite a lot of space and things to run in and out of etc.. Do you let him out for floor time? Mine get as much floor time as I can possibly give them. If this sounds like he may be bored, I can give you loads of tips for floor time and cheap or free stuff for him to play in!

lavenderjade said:
Does he live on his own? It is possible he is doing it out of boredom. Piggies need quite a lot of space and things to run in and out of etc.. Do you let him out for floor time? Mine get as much floor time as I can possibly give them. If this sounds like he may be bored, I can give you loads of tips for floor time and cheap or free stuff for him to play in!

yes, he does live on his own. When i got him there was two piggies but one piggie died after two weeks, that was 3 months ago now and although i would like to get him a friend I'm worried that they wouldnt get on with each other and i dont really have the space for another cage as i already have ten rats!

That would be great if you could give me some tips, i would be really grateful! :)

my Galaxy does that he is in with Richie a younger boy but he still chews at the bars mainly if i walk in its to get my attention Scooby carrie annes babe also does this but he wants to get Jinx and Dippys attention in the next run, jsut keep an eye on teeth and corners of the mouth as sores can develope

baby piggie said:
lavenderjade said:

yes, he does live on his own. When i got him there was two piggies but one piggie died after two weeks, that was 3 months ago now and although i would like to get him a friend I'm worried that they wouldnt get on with each other and i dont really have the space for another cage as i already have ten rats!

That would be great if you could give me some tips, i would be really grateful! :)
Well depending on the size of your cage, you could put a few toys in there or put them out when you take him out for floor time. Brown cardboard boxes with piggie size holes cut out so he can run in and out or hide! I got a tube that a carpet was rolled up on-I was cheeky and asked in a carpet shop and he said he would save me one which he did! You often find them in the skips at the back of large carpet shops, be sure to bring a haxsaw or something to cut it so it will go in the car. Piggies love running through them, one of mine sleeps in his and they can chew them too. You can stuff their fave hay in them or a treat to find. Talk to him loads and give him some cuddle time every day if you can. Encourage him to come to you with a tasty nibble-grass is a sure fire winner with mine. I let my piggies roam free in my lounge (piggy proofed) and keep the cage open so they can pee or put a tray down with some of his bedding in and he should pee in that. They love exploring!

Thanks! Those are great ideas! why didnt i think of the cardboard box's ::) I am going to get some boxs and big tubes for him - he will love running in and out of them! :D

my max dose this to his pen in the gradan as h is trying to get in with aflie and he has hidy holes in his cage too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back