Piggie Beds

• Thread starter Thread starter CobwebandPigpig
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CobwebandPigpig

Hiya!

My two are indoor pigs, and I was thinking ahead to the winter. Pigpig likes his little wooden log cabin, so I can pop some of Luna the hamster's safe soft paper bedding in there. I was thinking about Cobweb - he rarely sat in his cabin so I've just removed it to give him more room (he still has a chube for hiding in).

Does anyone use soft beds, like guinea pig sized cat beds or cuddle cups? How often do you have to change them, do you have two or three for ease of rotation? Do they get stinky or really dirty?

I'm thinking of getting Cobweb something like this for the winter coming, and would love to see your views. Thanks! :)

I just have wooden platforms covered with a towel which I change every other day in their cages, which they can either lay on or under. They tend to pull the towel off and make a little nest sometimes, especially if its a bit chilly like yesterday, but its their cage so they can do what the like! But when they come out to play I have loads of cuddle cups, tunnels and beds under my bed and around the room for them to lay in or play in. The cuddle cups and fleece tunnels are from the £1 shop! They do tend to get weed on every night so I'm forever changing them and washing them. I did buy a couple of those comfy little rabbit beds in P@H too, which they love and Pookie has a little fleece lined car for when he comes out so he can snooze in peace in it!

That's great - thanks for your reply!

Oooh, I'll have to check out the pound shop - I never even thought of trying there. I was thinking about even just buying a heap of cheap facecloths for the pigs to use, seeing as they'll be changed frequently. I'll see about some comfy beds too - another chance to spoil them!

Thanks again! O0

i use cuddle cups, and also fleece sleeping bags , which my daughter makes. just wash every few days

Hiya

This may or may not be relevant (!) but I know a very good site that sells all sorts of hammocks and fleecy igloos etc - www.rathammocks.co.uk - don't be put off by the name - they also do stuff for all pets including guinea pigs. I have ordered lots of things from them before for various pets and they have always been fast and reliable and very nice.
(Forgot to say if you go to the site and click on cavies along the side you will find the fleecy things under 'toys')
Nancy :)

OOoh thank you Nancy, I'll have a look at that! ;D

Thanks too, MDS, I reckon I could (should!) have a go at trying to make some homemade beds. The pigs are always going to be indoors so it'd be nice to have lots to use so I can change them daily.

Oh, and of course the Thistle Cavies shop has lots of nice beds, too!

we buy really cheap fleece blankets from cheapie shops and make the sleeping bags out of them.

maisydaisystar said:
i use cuddle cups, and also fleece sleeping bags , which my daughter makes. just wash every few days
hi sorry for butting in, but can you tumble dry the cuddle cups, and where do you get them from. if you can't what do you do while they dry? sorry.

I have found from the other small animals I have kept that it is better to buy more than one (one in the wash, use one etc) - I think they can be tumble dried as far as I know... (maybe someone will say different!)

You can buy the cuddle cups from lots of places including pets at home and lots of the pet shops online I think. :)

Hey guys - just wanted to show you what I got. These are cat/small dog beds from Christies (the 99p shop). I got 4 of them and they can be washed and tumble dried. The first photo shows the bed before I altered it (don't worry, I didn't leave Cobweb there for long) and, after a few minutes labour and several stitches, the adjusted version in the second photo. I basically just folded it and stitched up the folds to make a hooded bed.

cobwebnewbed1.jpg

cobwebnewbed2.jpg

Very cheap, easy to keep clean, and one happy piggie. Thanks everyone who posted on this thread with all your ideas.

I am using loads of sleepsacks and cuddle cups aswell, I just line them with towels and underneath the towels incontinence sheets cut to size. I just have to change the towels every three days, and wash the cuddle cups once every week or two.

Looks like a classic Cobweb "Was this the only colour they had expression" :smitten: I love you sour faced little pig :smitten:

Seriously though it looks really good...wish i was good at sewing so I could do such things and he looks very happy :smitten:

aww they look like great beds! And as the previous post says I too LOVE the expression on your piggies face! ha ha

Very nice ;) :D

He is totally not impressed ;D

I always imagine cobweb as victor meldrew ;D ;D ;D Bless him ;D :smitten:

That looks fantastic, you are really handy! O0

I prefer to stick to wooden and plastic toys and beds, as having piggies going in and out, i like things to be clean, and the idea of washing 27+ of those things a day is soul destroying ;D ;D

Heehee, thanks guys, I adore my little sourpuss Cobweb! :smitten:

And it really was the only colour they had! :o

Yep, PP, I'm a bit of a clean freak too ;) - these 4 beds are just for Cobweb, as he didn't like his wooden cabin. Pigpig loves his wee wooden house though, bless him, he's such a proper little piglet.

:)

awwww looks lovely! I would never think of going into the pound shop.
can I ask...what are cuddle cups?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back