• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Piggie baby blues

• Thread starter Thread starter kite
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kite

Hi all, two things which are probably the result of an over-anxious mind...

I) Just bought a new baby last week. Seems to be doing all right and settling in, but he's been sneezing a bit. I've had four pigs before this and usually when they did similiar little sneezes it didn't lead to anything- I guess they'd just got some dust up their nose or had just been a bit chilly that day, like we would. His breathing today has been regular, he has eaten and there doesn't appear to be any crustiness around his eyes or nose- all of which is what alerted me to when my second to last had a cold- but he's so young and therefore I'm a little worried. Also because, well, the second to last one? Dazzle was died within a day of her symptoms becoming really apparent. I know she was old, but at this age Frodo hasn't had time to build up that much strength...should I just wait and see? I'm at work tomorrow, which makes me a bit anxious :(

2) He's also not taking to using a bottle. My parents recall having literally bottle-trained a couple of the others, and I think the first one picked up on how to because of the rabbit. I've tried holding the bottle near him when it's wet, but he ignores it. He's getting quite a bit of water from his food (if what's he done twice on me today is any indication :P) but he really should be drinking from his bottle...and I don't want him to have a moisture dependence on lettuce, because in my experience lettuce too regularly can lead to digestive problems when they're little. Any advice from guinea pig owner veterans?

Do not worry your piggie will find the bottle if he NEEDS it ;) some of mine drink loads others barely a drop and they are all fine :)
welcome to the forum too :)

I'm just being panicky. It's been months since I had a piggie, and because she was so old when she died (six years) it's like I'm starting all over- 'OMG? Are they usually that small?!' It's been so long since we had a baby in the house that I've forgotten :o Thanks for the reassurance.

I think we had to train one of them, but I suspect it was Dazzle because, bless her late soul, she was a bit dense :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back