Picking Young Guinea Pigs Up Tomorrow - Which Hay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeakyclean

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi.Picking guinea pigs up tomorrow from pet store,expecting to be around 10 weeks old.Do I need anything extra in diet or special hay?

For young piggies you want to feed them alfalfa hay for the extra nutrients it has, and make sure their pellets have vitamin C as Guinea pigs cannot make their own and need this in their diet. Other then that I'm sure you've got household veggies they would love but I suggest heading over to the food section of this forum to find out what's poisonous to your pigs. For example Guinea pigs can eat tomato, but the green top of the tomato is toxic to them.

Hi.Picking guinea pigs up tomorrow from pet store,expecting to be around 10 weeks old.Do I need anything extra in diet or special hay?

Hi and welcome

You may find this thread here helpful. Normal meadow, orchard or tomothy hay will do if you feed a bit more pellets (escecially ones that are alfalfa based). The actual extra amount they need is very small.
Recommendations For A Balanced General Guinea Pig Diet

More information for new owners via this link here: " Starter Kit" Of Information Threads For New Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back