Picking Up Our Piggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fran85

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi there,
we will be picking up our two new piggies this coming weekend and I was just wondering if there's any advice on how best to deal with them. We've got the transport box, I was planning to put just hay in it. Anything else?
Should I hang a blanket or towel over the box during our drive home? And then, place the transport box in the cage and open the box door and let them walk into their new cage when theyre ready and just leave them to it for a while? Does that sound ok or is there anything else we can do to make their start in their new home as smooth as possible?

How long should we leave them before approaching for some "chat" and first sniffles (let alone picking up and taking out?)

Many thanks, cant wait to start the piggy adventure :love::love::love:

Hi there,
we will be picking up our two new piggies this coming weekend and I was just wondering if there's any advice on how best to deal with them. We've got the transport box, I was planning to put just hay in it. Anything else?
Should I hang a blanket or towel over the box during our drive home? And then, place the transport box in the cage and open the box door and let them walk into their new cage when theyre ready and just leave them to it for a while? Does that sound ok or is there anything else we can do to make their start in their new home as smooth as possible?

How long should we leave them before approaching for some "chat" and first sniffles (let alone picking up and taking out?)

Hi! You may find our travelling tips helpful: Travelling with guinea pigs

Here is our information bundle for new owners that will hopefully help you to settle in and understand your piggies. We have got lots more information at the top of our various Care sections, but you are always welcome to ask any questions you may have.
" Starter Kit" Of Information Threads For New Owners

Hi there,

Yeah that sounds good.
It's best to leave them to it for the first day, just so they can get their bearings as it will be a bit stressful for them moving home.

When I got my 2 pigs, I put them in their cage which was in my room, and I left them to it, but I kept talking and stuff so they could get used to my voice. And I got them used to the noise of the hoover too.

Then the next day I opened their cage door and let them come up to me.if they wanted but I didn't force it. I'd put a bit of parsley or some other treat in my hand and gently encourage them to come to me.

It can take weeks, or months, or in my case, 6 months, for piggies to fully trust and feel confident around you, it just depends on the piggy.

My two will now freely walk about my room with me and not bother. They can still get a bit of a fright and run and hide which is normal for guinea pigs, even the very confident well adapted ones.

Hope this helps and I want to see pictures of them when you get them:drool:

So exciting!
A good tip I got when I brought my first pigs home recently was to put a towel over the cage to make them feel more secure. I put it over one end so they could escape down there if need be and then gradually pulled it back a bit every day.

Ours have been here about 6 weeks now (gosh, is that all?) and are still pretty skittish but are definitely getting better.

Yeah really can't wait, got our first bits n pieces and Tesco food, our daughter is so excited too!

Thanks for the towel advice, that's what I had in mind, will definitely do that.

Yeah really can't wait, got our first bits n pieces and Tesco food, our daughter is so excited too!

Thanks for the towel advice, that's what I had in mind, will definitely do that.

You can find that advice as well as lots more of them in the links I have given you in my previous post. All the best!

This can help with the stress of trying to catch them to pick them up, I still use this method at times now, it is especially good when you first have piggies and takes the stress out for them and you.

Exciting times ahead. Settling piggies is a great thread to read too How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back