Pets at home

Cambridge Piggles

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Are the nuggets and hay at pets at home good enough quality for piggies? I’ve bought science selective nuggets and their own brand hay.

Any grass hay is absolutely fine.
I personally feed a mix of meadow and orchard hay.

Science selective nuggets are fine. Just ensure they are kept to one tablespoon per pig per day.
I personally feed Piggie Parcels pellets as they are 100% grasses so don’t contain the fillers in commercial pellets. Piggie Parcels is a small business run by a member of this forum. I also buy her forage.

Science selective nuggets are fine. Just ensure they are kept to one tablespoon per pig per day.
I personally feed Piggie Parcels pellets as they are 100% grasses so don’t contain the fillers in commercial pellets. Piggie Parcels is a small business run by a member of this forum. I also buy her forage.
Oh brilliant ! I’ll purchase some piggie parcels. I just want them to be as healthy as possible and I’m prepared to pay. I’m forgoing Botox to afford these pigs hahaha

Oh brilliant ! I’ll purchase some piggie parcels. I just want them to be as healthy as possible and I’m prepared to pay. I’m forgoing Botox to afford these pigs hahaha

Best way for them to be healthy is with lots of hay.
They don’t need pellets at all. I actually only feed them 2-3 times a week and the rest of the time they have dried forage (from piggie parcels), fresh forage from the garden and plenty of grass, a little more veg than the recommended amounts

Piggy parcels pellets were out of stock yesterday when I looked. It's taken me over 6 months to get mine off pets at home pellets and even now they are only tolerating the Burgess which is the only other one they will eat at all 🙄

I find online hay much better quality than pet shop hay, to be honest. I get my hay from Nature's Own, which is run by a Devon farmer selling their own hay; my piggies love their meadow hay with some sweet meadow used as an extra treat for the winter months when my lawn isn't growing.

When you order enough for a free delivery, their hay works out cheaper than any mostly uninspiring pet shop hay and they also use compostable packing for their bales. Personally, I prefer to support independent places who actually care about the quality of what they produce (which in the current climate change is becoming more challenging) as well as keeping the plastic footprint small.
But mainly because their hay was what my piggies were making the biggest beeline for when I did some trials about 15 months ago in order to find a new hay supplier after my excellent independent local pet shop sourcing their own locally produced hay was sold on to Jollyes who now offer just a basic meadow hay bale and not even that reliably. :(
I go through a minimal free delivery (17.5 kg in five 3.5 kg bales) in just over a week with all my piggies... Hay is the main food source so I prefer to offer the compromise between quality and cost. :D

I am a bit more limited in choice for 10kg pellet bags so I am still using Harrington's. But one big bag lasts me about 3 months with around 20 piggies.

Nugget Comparison Chart

A Comprehensive Hay Guide for Guinea Pigs (incl. providers in several countries)

However, there is nothing wrong with starting somewhere and then looking around for what suits you best once you have a bit more practical experience and have a better idea of what you are looking for in terms of amounts and practicalities. In the end, what you buy has to work for you just as much as for your piggies in terms of storage, quality and how much you go through. And that is the reason why there isn't a clear 'buy only this' recommendation on here.

Pellets are only 1 tablespoon per piggy per day, so you have a bit more leeway in terms of quality.

I find online hay much better quality than pet shop hay, to be honest. I get my hay from Nature's Own, which is run by a Devon farmer selling their own hay; my piggies love their meadow hay with some sweet meadow used as an extra treat for the winter months when my lawn isn't growing.

When you order enough for a free delivery, their hay works out cheaper than any mostly uninspiring pet shop hay and they also use compostable packing for their bales. Personally, I prefer to support independent places who actually care about the quality of what they produce (which in the current climate change is becoming more challenging) as well as keeping the plastic food print small.
But mainly because their hay was what my piggies were making the biggest beeline for when I did some trials about 15 months ago in order to find a new hay supplier after my excellent independent local pet shop sourcing their own locally produced hay was sold on to Jollyes. I go through a minimal free delivery (17.5 kg in five 3.5 kg bales) in just over a week with all my piggies... :D

I am a bit more limited in choice for 10kg pellet bags so I am still using Harrington's. But one big bag lasts me about 3 months with around 20 piggies.

Nugget Comparison Chart

A Comprehensive Hay Guide for Guinea Pigs (incl. providers in several countries)

However, there is nothing wrong with starting somewhere and then looking around for what suits you best once you have a bit more practical experience and have a better idea of what you are looking for. In the end, what you buy has to work for you just as much as for your piggies in terms of storage, quality and how much you go through. And that is the reason why there isn't a clear 'buy only this' recommendation.

Pellets are only 1 tablespoon per piggy per day
I think the nugget comparison chart is out of date. For example these days science Selective, which i feed, is only 0.6 calcium not 0.8. I don't know if there are other differences in the products

I think the nugget comparison chart is out of date. For example these days science Selective, which i feed, is only 0.6 calcium not 0.8. I don't know if there are other differences in the products

We could do with somebody trawling through the list again; it needs an update every 2-3 years. :(

I ordered some piggie pellets yesterday and I may have ordered a few more bits too. The forage is so lovely and Thea, Misty and Bramble enjoy it so much its hard not to be tempted. Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
You mean this time they didn't manage to steal your cards and splurge on goodies for themselves?

No fillers wow🎉

Back