Pets At Home Single Piggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overparanoid

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I'm new and planning on adopting a pair of piggies but the pets at home adoption service has me stumped. I'm not saying that I will rescue from them but I am planning on rescuing a pair somehow but the question I have is they always seem to be lone piggies in the pets at home adoption area. How would it work if I wanted to get a pair from them? Doesn't make sense that they aren't in pairs even when they have several. Anyone ever adopted from them before?

I adopted my first boar from the adoption centre in my local Pets at Home and he was alone, I've seen some pairs in there but rarely and I think they're hand ins

Bonding males especially can be quite hard Have you looked on the rescue locator to see if there is one near you?this would be a better option as pets at home pigs can come with problems

My two boys were from the adoption centre, they were too old to be sold. But they were together. However, I doubt pairing singles even crosses their minds, most pets at home workers don't have a clue.

As guinea pigs need a friend getting two piggies from there would be a risk. You cannot be sure they will be compatible. By adopting from a rescue you can be sure the guinea pigs will be healthy, correctly sexed and bonded. You will also be ensuring space is available for more piggies in need. This rescue locater will help you to find your nearest rescue.
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/

Hi, thanks for the replies. I did see this as a major issue as I've been researching but seeing the single piggies is already getting to me which is why I was enquiring. I did try the link but it just seems to be coming up dark with an x in the corner :(

Usually guinea pigs in the adoption centre are ones that have either been given in or have came into the store ill and been treated but I've worked there for 11 months and we haven't been handed a single guinea pig. We did have one woman who wanted to put one up for adoption but she had very long hair and there was a huge matt at her rear end so we had to tell the woman to take her to the vet and made an appointment for her because it was too close to the skin for anyone to just cut out, the woman said she had never noticed it but it was like a huge hay ball. Not sure if she went to the appointment but she didn't come back anyway. We've only ever put pairs into adoption once they've been treated.

We adopted to individual boys from Pets At Home, and they had 3 up for adoption. We hoped, given out experience with pigs, we'd be able to bond them and have a happy piggy home. We we're told all three boys up for adoption where left overs from their litters in store and couldn't be mixed with new litters. Sadly our boys don't get at all. All round they are good pigs, never had any sign of prior ill treatment or neglect, both approx 4-5 months old when we got them and have had no health issues :) Hope this helps in some way. I've seen pairs up for adoption in my local Pets At Home, I assumed it was because they were too old to be sold as pups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back