Petrified Piggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lola and fudge

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hello eveyone! We just got new piggies 3 weeks ago. 2 sows approx 4 months old.
They are in a 2x4 cage. Seemed to settle really quickly but now seem absolutely petrified. They tolerated gentle brushing but now try and jump off your lap if even attempt it. Not really sure if they get on as they bury below fleece at opposite ends of the cage for most of the day. They only come out once we leave the room. Not sure which piggies is the dominent one either or if they have worked that out yet.
Any advice please

image.webp

Food will be your biggest help here. Find out what their favourite veggies are and tempt them with it. Speak quietly and gently to them and they will learn your voice and associate it with food and nice things.

Guinea pigs are prey animals so they will be scared of everything to start with, it will just take time for them to trust you. I.have two that still hit the ground when a plane goes over but will leap at the bars and squeak when they hear me coming with food :)

they were fine , now they are terifide

l see they are out doors in the photo,
are there any cats, dogs, or any other animal that may have unsetled them ?

It does just take time. Some take longer than others to adjust to their new environment. Don't really think I can add any more than what Kerry has said x

Gorgeous piggies, welcome to the forum

Guinea pigs are prey animals and it takes a while to gain their trust so to be honest it is all perfectly normal behavior. Piggies are often froze with fear at first with us and then will run off laps as they get more confident but are still afraid this is the time they may also nip because they are scared.... As for brushing none of our long haired piggies enjoy it :))

Please make sure they have hideys in the cage so they can go there is they feel vulnerable.

I would recommend to keep talking softly to them and try some hand feeling while they are in their house - offer a sprig of coriander or parsley at their door and see if they will take it from you, slowly but surely you'll gain their trust. Food is always a good bribery. As for laptimes do it a little at first say for 1 minute a day then put them back again off them food so they associate it with good things. Building up trust slowly is the way to go, we have all been there. With our first piggies we set upo a video camera because we never saw them :))

Here is a great thread for tips on how to settle piggies How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?

This video show techniques to pick up piggies which is stress free for them and you, we use this technique still to this day :)

Gorgeous piggies, welcome to the forum

Guinea pigs are prey animals and it takes a while to gain their trust so to be honest it is all perfectly normal behavior. Piggies are often froze with fear at first with us and then will run off laps as they get more confident but are still afraid this is the time they may also nip because they are scared.... As for brushing none of our long haired piggies enjoy it :))

Please make sure they have hideys in the cage so they can go there is they feel vulnerable.

I would recommend to keep talking softly to them and try some hand feeling while they are in their house - offer a sprig of coriander or parsley at their door and see if they will take it from you, slowly but surely you'll gain their trust. Food is always a good bribery. As for laptimes do it a little at first say for 1 minute a day then put them back again off them food so they associate it with good things. Building up trust slowly is the way to go, we have all been there. With our first piggies we set upo a video camera because we never saw them :))

Here is a great thread for tips on how to settle piggies How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?

This video show techniques to pick up piggies which is stress free for them and you, we use this technique still to this day :)

Thanks for that! Feels like they have gone backwards but hopefully they will come round. They absolutely adore coriander

they were fine , now they are terifide

l see they are out doors in the photo,
are there any cats, dogs, or any other animal that may have unsetled them ?

Yes.. Possibly a bit too noisy. Think they may have been a bit frightened by my childrens (slightly loud) friends
Hoping it doesn't take too long to regain their trust!

It won't take long to regain it. Always make sure they have shelters even in the run it provides them with the security. Prey instinct is huge in prey animals so making them feel secure goes a long way to gaining trust,

They are stunning, what are their names?

It won't take long to regain it. Always make sure they have shelters even in the run it provides them with the security. Prey instinct is huge in prey animals so making them feel secure goes a long way to gaining trust,

They are stunning, what are their names?
image.webp Fudge is the mulicoloured piggie and Lola is the white piggie complete with quiff!

My piggies have taken a year to gain there trust and even now they will run away if someone make a sudden noise or moves quickly. What I found helpful is if I come in the room just talk, quietly, this lets them know you are there but you aren't scaring them. I have found this very useful. Also use food hand feed there veggies etc, so they know you are good and won't hurt them. Hope every thing goes well you just need to remember that everything takes time.
hello eveyone! We just got new piggies 3 weeks ago. 2 sows approx 4 months old.
They are in a 2x4 cage. Seemed to settle really quickly but now seem absolutely petrified. They tolerated gentle brushing but now try and jump off your lap if even attempt it. Not really sure if they get on as they bury below fleece at opposite ends of the cage for most of the day. They only come out once we leave the room. Not sure which piggies is the dominent one either or if they have worked that out yet.
Any advice please

View attachment 35400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back