• Baby wipes

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perfectpets11

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys! I just posting about pet safe disinfectant (if u haven't already read the title) and what my opinion is of it. When my boys were younger I tried many disinfectants to see which one worked the best. The ones I bought ended up somehow cracking on their own and the disinfectant would leak out ( it has stained slot of our items) . So I thought I'd google round to see what other ideas people are usin to clean their pigs cages. I then found the vinegar and water solution (2 parts water and 1 part vinegar. I still live by this today!) this homemade disinfectant is brilliant! It's pretty cheap compared to the shop bought ones which are around £4, it has an ok smell and u don't have to store it anywhere as you could make the amount u need into a bowl or bucket which means you aren't wasting any ( plus u won't get leaky bottles). whenever I clean the pigs cage I never always use disinfectant. Every 2 weeks I will use it. I don't use it every week because disinfectants kill 99.9% of all bacteria. Not all bacteria is bad so I like to give the pigs some time to let them but up some immunity to the good Bacteria and a small amount of bad. Some times I like to wipe down the pigs cage every week with disinfectants ( vinegar and water) but once or twice a month I won't use any at all. I was just letting you guys in on my opinion so no hate comments or anything. U can tell me what u use and when/ how often you use it. I'd love to know! Soz it's so long x

When I look for a safe disinfectant I look for something that is safe for babies then you know it will be safe for your piggies. If you've got areas that have gone white with wee stains then clean these first with white vinegar, leaving it on for a few minutes before wiping dry. If you place newspapers down first this will stop the stains occurring.

Btw in the quiz/ question at the top there should be

Pet safe disinfectant

Vinegar and water

Warm soapy water

Baby wipes

Other

Thanks guys x

I'm sure you won't get any hate comments @Perfectpets11. I think this will be a very interesting thread.

I tend to use a proprietary cleaner but this is only out of convenience. I would not rely on these to disinfect as, you have pointed, they usually only claim to kill 99% of germs . I like the idea of using vinegar and water so will be interested to see what other forum members think of this.
I use fleece bedding and wash this on a 60° wash to keep germs at bay.

Haha thx a lot x
I'm sure you won't get any hate comments @Perfectpets11. I think this will be a very interesting thread.

I tend to use a proprietary cleaner but this is only out of convenience. I would not rely on these to disinfect as, you have pointed, they usually only claim to kill 99% of germs . I like the idea of using vinegar and water so will be interested to see what other forum members think of this.
I use fleece bedding and wash this on a 60° wash to keep germs at bay.

Thx to everyone for commenting x

For general use we use pet safe but for a good deep clean we use vinegar and water mix and then rinse thoroughly.

Lisa & Ali..x

I use water and vinegar to wash the hutch out first (I thought it was just for the smell, hadn't realised it disinfected too!) although my suction isn't as concentrated as yours. And I then use Johnson's clean n safe. I do mine twice a week. I wash their bedding at 60degrees - nothing else gets done at that temp!

i use the conficlean spray or white vinegar and water to clean the cage.

once a week i use milton to sterilise the bottles and bowls aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back