• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Persistent skin condition

VAM

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, one of my piggies has a persistent skin condition, that isnt ruining her quality of life (it doesn't seem to bother her at all and she never scratches at it) but I wondered if anyone else has had similar experiences. I have tried taking photos but she has black fur and it isn't that bad so I can't really demonstrate it :-) She is nearly a year old and has seen the vet a few times about this issue. We have tried taking a sample for tests but all we can identify is that it isn't fungal. I use hibiscrub on it every now and then and use canesten several times a week. It seems to keep it at bay (it's only on her nose, and her fur still grows around it) but I can't seem to get rid of it. It's like a bumpy growth. Her 2 piggie friends have never had it. Has anyone seen this with their piggies, and if so, do you have any tips to treat it? Many thanks

Hi, one of my piggies has a persistent skin condition, that isnt ruining her quality of life (it doesn't seem to bother her at all and she never scratches at it) but I wondered if anyone else has had similar experiences. I have tried taking photos but she has black fur and it isn't that bad so I can't really demonstrate it :-) She is nearly a year old and has seen the vet a few times about this issue. We have tried taking a sample for tests but all we can identify is that it isn't fungal. I use hibiscrub on it every now and then and use canesten several times a week. It seems to keep it at bay (it's only on her nose, and her fur still grows around it) but I can't seem to get rid of it. It's like a bumpy growth. Her 2 piggie friends have never had it. Has anyone seen this with their piggies, and if so, do you have any tips to treat it? Many thanks
Hi

I am very sorry but I cannot make any guesses from your decription which is devoid anything that I could hang even just a guess on.

Can you please specify:
- Where exactly on the body is the skin problem located?
- Does your piggy have hair loss? Is this over larger areas or are there clearly defined bald patches? How does the affected area look (shape)?
- Is the skin problem crusty, is it small scales of dead skin or is it just normal skin without hairs? Is she repeatedly biting into the skin (small bloody wounds) or is she self- barbering a certain area with leaving a tiny stubble when you pass a finger over it in a bald patch? Is the problem patch a different colour to the skin?
- How long has your piggy had the issue? Is it getting worse, is it stable or recurring?
- Has your vet checked for potential mange mites or hay mites and considered treating for invisible skin parasites. Is you piggy scratching more than their companion?
- What breed is your piggy?

We would still appreciate it if you could take your piggy to a window and take a day lit picture with the light falling ON her (and not her being silouetted against the source of light).

Sorry about all the questions but they represent all the different aspects that usually go into our considerations.

I wonder if it might be what is sometimes called a "fungal nose stripe" as you say it's only on her nose? A few people have had these on their piggies, if you search using that phrase you should find some threads and pictures which may help. One member whose piggie had something on its nose said their vet had called it "hyperkeratosis" (I think) though I don't know myself what that is exactly or what it looks like..

You saying it's just on the nose, my piggy Lightning always had what I called a fungal nose stripe (though not sure it is fungal), the years she had it, it didn't affect her or her cage mates. Not a great photo, it was slightly like a bumpy growth. Hibiscrub seems a bit strong to use around the nose? And canesten is anti-fungal so I wouldn't think it'd be needed if it's not fungal? If you leave it, does it stay the same?

IMG_20200502_100415.webp

Hi all, thank you for your responses. She is a rescue and I have her mum too who I think is Peruvian. She is a long haired piggie. I did wonder about the nose stripe, but it doesn't look the same for Dita. I suspect she has always had it (I adopted her at 2 months) but it only really became apparent at about 4 months old. She never scratches it, doesn't appear to know it's even there and I periodically leave off using canesten on her nose when it seems better, then start again if it flares up. The hair carries on growing, it has never stopped and it feels a bit scaly. Sometimes it grows outwards so you can see a bit poking through the hair. She has been tested for mites and appears to be a very healthy happy pig. She is indoors at all times, and does love to hang out in the darkest areas of the run -could it be a lack of sunlight?

As you can see from the pics, it is barely visible (sorry for the poor quality, the combination of old phone, black hair an a reticent pig!).

Attachments

• 20211108_123639.webp
    20211108_123639.webp
    45 KB · Views: 10
I couldn't resist the last pic, she is so fancy!

Attachments

• 20211108_123606.webp
    20211108_123606.webp
    40.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211108_123550.webp
    20211108_123550.webp
    52.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20211108_123718.webp
    20211108_123718.webp
    59.8 KB · Views: 8
Thank you! I have her mum and her brother, they are a stunning family😍

Attachments

• 20210802_181913.webp
    20210802_181913.webp
    64.4 KB · Views: 7
Hi all, thank you for your responses. She is a rescue and I have her mum too who I think is Peruvian. She is a long haired piggie. I did wonder about the nose stripe, but it doesn't look the same for Dita. I suspect she has always had it (I adopted her at 2 months) but it only really became apparent at about 4 months old. She never scratches it, doesn't appear to know it's even there and I periodically leave off using canesten on her nose when it seems better, then start again if it flares up. The hair carries on growing, it has never stopped and it feels a bit scaly. Sometimes it grows outwards so you can see a bit poking through the hair. She has been tested for mites and appears to be a very healthy happy pig. She is indoors at all times, and does love to hang out in the darkest areas of the run -could it be a lack of sunlight?

As you can see from the pics, it is barely visible (sorry for the poor quality, the combination of old phone, black hair an a reticent pig!).

Thank you for the pictures and further information. That narrows it down enormously.

I think that you may be dealing with a minor fungal infection; the good news is that it is not ringworm as that would have spread quite quickly. However there are other less aggressive and contagious forms of fungal around that labs won't test for.

The best line of defence for the long term is a good hay based diet (hay and fresh grass should make around 75-80% of the daily food intake) with limited pellets (just 1 tablespoon per piggy per day) and a limited amount of preferably green veg and fresh herbs to strengthen the immune system and provide a wide range of trace elements - the actual amounts needed are very small but the variation allows the body to fill any needs that may arise from previous malnutrition from less than optimal conditions and care. It looks to me like it could be one of those minor things that piggies with a fully operational immune system could keep under control all by themselves.
In my own long term experience, a good diet low in sugary/starchy veg (like sweetcorn and carrots, which are like feeding a bar of chocolate to a guinea pigs; grain products in pellets etc.) makes the biggest difference for overall health and can add 1-2 years to a normal life span unless there are genetic or medical issues.
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

If you wish, you can also do a 3 weeks vitamin C booster. Please don't do it any longer as the body will adapt to regular high levels and can then react with scurvy symptoms if that level is suddenly lowered even if the actual vitamin C level is still higher than normal. Keep in mind that vitamin C is high in fresh growing grass (the reason why piggies never had the need of making their own); it is in the veg and also in pellets, so they are getting it pretty much with everything they eat.
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

Please accept that a good diet is never a quick fix; it takes time to work the nutrients through the body. But it is the best marathon runner in terms of health boosting measures for a good and healthy long life. ;)

Thank you for that advice. That all seems really sensible, and I am keen to try something low key first to see if that helps. They are currently out for floor time, popcorning and doing their thing so I am know they are happy😊 I just need to manage their intake a bit more. Thanks!

Thank you for that advice. That all seems really sensible, and I am keen to try something low key first to see if that helps. They are currently out for floor time, popcorning and doing their thing so I am know they are happy😊 I just need to manage their intake a bit more. Thanks!

Please read the links I have added; including amending my last post while you have already read it.

Reactions: VAM
Back