Peppers

jac13

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi yeah what vegetables are good for vitamin c plz as my girls have went off peppers of every colour even the small ones I know parsley, spinach and kale have but don't want to give a lot of these as they are so high in calcium

Aw brilliant wasn't sure about coriander with vitamin c but they love it and get it daily thanks so much for the great link also this page is loads better than FB ones as they would say feed the oxbow ones and read on this they shouldn't have them everyday

Aw brilliant wasn't sure about coriander with vitamin c but they love it and get it daily thanks so much for the great link also this page is loads better than FB ones as they would say feed the oxbow ones and read on this they shouldn't have them everyday

Hi

Vitamin C is in quite a few veg; peppers are just the one that is high in it that is not also high in calcium and/or oxalates (oxalates are one of the factors that can contribute to the formation of stones). Don't feed much fresh coriander when feeding daily because it is high in oxalates but is the herb lowest in calcium - and the UK is mainly a hard water country.
We also recommend to feed a slice of spring greens or kale once weekly because they contain important magnesium (which is not in pellets) in addition to vitamin C and yes, it is either high calcium (kale) or oxalates (spring/collard greens).

However, guinea pigs need some calcium in their diet. There is a soft spot which varies depending on your water hardness, individual water intake and pellets so any diet is ultimately a major compromise; too low can lead to stones as much as too high if other factors (including a genetic disposition) are also present. There is no ideal diet that fits everywhere in the world. We go by what works for us in practice and keeps cases of bladderstones low.

All veggies have vitamin c, but capsicum is probably the best source for guinea pigs.
I remember the first guinea pigs I had didn't eat capsicum and I got worried about them not getting their vit c (much like you). I would just give them the capsicum first thing in the morning and because this is when they where most hungry, they would just eat it. That way, they got their daily vit c.
Hope this is helpful 👍

Back