Pellets

ishita

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Timothy hay pellets aren't currently available in my area. I don't know when they will be again. Is it alright if I feed them other pellets (meant for guinea pigs obviously)? They already eat quite a lot of Timothy hay. Sometimes we give them alfalfa as well. Any advice?

I would assume that any grass hay based pellets would be fine. When looking at pellets to buy, try to avoid ones that contain a lot of oil, salt and sugar. Many, if not all, pellets contain some oils, salts and sugars, but I try to avoid products with higher amounts of these things.
Guinea pigs don't need to eat pellets every day, so you can take your time and get better quality pellets online and wait for them to come in the mail.

I would assume that any grass hay based pellets would be fine. When looking at pellets to buy, try to avoid ones that contain a lot of oil, salt and sugar. Many, if not all, pellets contain some oils, salts and sugars, but I try to avoid products with higher amounts of these things.
Guinea pigs don't need to eat pellets every day, so you can take your time and get better quality pellets online and wait for them to come in the mail.
Thanks for the explanation!
I use a grass-bases pellet that they like. And it's never caused any problems. So I guess I'll keep using it as it doesn't have too much oil and sugar. Thank you!

It’s not just salt and oil that you need to avoid, it is things like alfalfa and grains ideally as well.

Please do not feed your piggies any alfalfa at all. It is too high in calcium and is not something any piggy older than three weeks of age should have. It is a legume and not a grass.

Any plain grass based pellet is absolutely fine.
So not feed a muesli who’s contains seeds or grains.

It sounds like sticking to the plain grass-based pellets you’re already using should be fine, just skip the alfalfa since it's too high in calcium for adult guinea pigs.

Back