Pellets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ButterFinger05

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello! I'm new here and don't own Guinea Pigs yet so please put up with me. :lol:
So obviously they need unlimited hay, and green leafy veggies to get the Vitamin C. But do they need pellets? If so, I can buy it. But i just want to make sure. And if so, what would you recommend? Thank you! :D

Hello! I'm new here and don't own Guinea Pigs yet so please put up with me. :lol:
So obviously they need unlimited hay, and green leafy veggies to get the Vitamin C. But do they need pellets? If so, I can buy it. But i just want to make sure. And if so, what would you recommend? Thank you! :D
I like to supply pellets myself, although I've heard that it isn't necessary if you are diligent about the proper feeding of hay and vegetables, but I personally think pellets are an easier way to go. I feed mine Harrington's Optimum Guinea Pig Pellets, which I can get here in Canada at Walmart for $8.00. My guinea pigs go crazy for them! I've tried them on pellets from Petland (Which like everything at Petland, were a complete waste of money!) and they nibbled them but weren't really too into them. I feed them grass hay which I buy by the bale from a local feed store and that will last me half the year. I'm sure you won't have a problem finding hay in Texas lol The biggest thing to remember about pellets (And hay) is that you don't want any alfalfa in the ingredients- it's very high in protein and can cause health issues in guinea pigs if fed routinely. The Harrington's Pellets don't contain alfalfa and I'm told that they are a decent food. Hopefully you can get them at Walmart's there as well. Another veggie that is high in Vitamin C is red and yellow bell pepper. That's what I tend to feed mine for Vitamin C intake. I give my pigs 1/3 cup of pellets every day and they don't seem to quite finish it all- that's between two pigs. I give them a handful of hay in the morning and a handful at night and that seems to be the perfect amount for them. They are meant to have unlimited hay and they don't quite finish that every time either so I know I'm in the right amount for hay feeding. Good luck!

Hi and :wel:!
For pellets I feed pets@home guinea pig nuggets and selective guinea pig nuggets. Selective they prefer and pets@home gives Poppy a shiny coat! Poppy is in the pic as my avatar!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back