Pellets help please

Guineapoops2022

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello there I’m new to here I’m just hoping I can get some advice on pellets?! I have seen online how company’s can state to give each guinea pig much more pellets than they should…40-60g per piggy. I have 4 pigs all between 10-15 weeks as far as I know. I’m really not sure how much I should be giving them…or whether to space out pellet servings during the day…

I just want to know when it’s ok not to put more in as they have been squeaking sometimes randomly up at cage as if they are hungry for more. I really don’t want to over feed but also not under feed they have unlimited hay and get veggies throughout the day many thanks

They are supposed to have 1 table spoon of nuggets per pig per day, they will always squeak when they hear rustling of bags, that’s what they do to make you feel like you have to give them something, hay is their main food source, so as long as they have lots of hay, they will never be hungry 😋

It’s one tablespoon of pellets per pig per day. Once their tablespoon each has gone, then it’s gone and no more until the next day.
Pellets contribute a lot of calcium to diet and excess calcium can cause health issues. Plus, once piggies have stopped growing then if they have more pellets than needed, it will go straight into unhealthy weight gain
If you choose to split their portion and give half a tablespoon each in the morning, and then half a tablespoon each in the evening, then that is fine provided they have just one tablespoon per day.
If they have hay 24/7 then they will never be hungry.

The guide below will help further
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Thank you very much for your reply’s I scattered 4 table spoons for the girls this morning they lasted until afternoon and Dolores my greediest piggy was giving it big wheeks tonight looking all around for pellets but I’m sticking to it as health comes first thanks guys really appreciate your help x

Hey sorry to bother you again so the 4 table spoons doesn’t seem to be going well constant wheeking climbing up cage on front paws a lot also noticed everytime I go near any of my girls now they are all biting like they are hungry and frustrated constant hay available some pepper at lunch everyday ( I hope this is ok? Pepper everyday? ) spaced out pellets and veggies at night… but I feel they aren’t settling and not happy looking around for pellets constantly 😑

Hey sorry to bother you again so the 4 table spoons doesn’t seem to be going well constant wheeking climbing up cage on front paws a lot also noticed everytime I go near any of my girls now they are all biting like they are hungry and frustrated constant hay available some pepper at lunch everyday ( I hope this is ok? Pepper everyday? ) spaced out pellets and veggies at night… but I feel they aren’t settling and not happy looking around for pellets constantly 😑

Pepper is fine everyday.
You just have to ignore them and stay strong, they’re like toddlers wanting chocolate - you can’t give in and by keeping pellets limited you are promoting good health. Theyve got hay so they’re not hungry, they’re just trying their luck.
Use the pellets they do have as enrichment and hide them amongst hay, in boxes etc so they have to find them. It can make them last a bit longer and keeps them occupied.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

My girls and boys are the same, try and stay strong, they will get the message, once they’ve had what their allowed they should calm down

Back