Pellets disaster!

Dwarfpotato

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
A while back I found the perfect solution to pigs adorably asking for treats (politely) every time someone came in the room. To stop them getting too many, each day I'd put one tbsp of pellets scattered in the cage, and the other tbsp in a bowl. This worked because apparently Tesco nuggs were INCREDIBLE, and they'd get properly excited about a treat that is literally just their breakfast.
Problem is, Tesco seem to have stopped making their pellets. Based on the comparison chart the Asda and Wilko ones might be the same, but I can't get them either. So far they've turned their noses up at excel mint, pets at home own brand, and science selective grain free.
I'm starting to collect bags of unwanted nuggs. The lack of a good alternative means their pea flake consumption has gone through the roof (but the pigs aren't complaining...). Stopping giving them treats isn't really an option. It's too hard to explain to visitors and live-in pig uncle Ian. If I gave them fresh hay every time they'd end up buried.

So please help! What are the tastiest brands of pellets? I was looking at versele laga next.

The goblins love the versele laga. They preferred Cunipic but getting those is next to impossible, and apparently the versele are an acceptable substitute. They'll eat the SS grain free, though.

When Versele Laga changed their recipe mine refused to eat them for a while, I just kept trying them and now they are as acceptable as they always were. I also feed Burgess Indoor and SS not grain free occasionally so that they don't get stuck on just one type.

I found my pigs hated excel mint but loved the excel blackcurrant. I don’t know if they’ve changed it but at the time the blackcurrant ones were a much easier shape and texture, they were also sweeter.

Really, as long as their diet is otherwise good it doesn’t really matter if they don’t eat the full amount (or any) pellets.

Mine love Science Selective grain free nuggets.
They get a handful scattered around the cage about 4-5 times a week so they don’t get too bored

Back