Pellet switch dilemma

S and G

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Pellet dilemma.
I want to transfer my piggies off harringtons as it's primary ingredient is sunflower extract. Problem is one of them (Ginny) is refusing anything with grass as primary ingredient. So, do I continue with Harringtons keeping portion to 1 spoon per piggie or do I keep trying new brands (I've tried 3 so far)

I'd keep trying. Mix some of the new in with the Harringtons, gradually reducing the Harringtons. When she sees her cage mate eating the new she may get the message. Some of mine are very slow to accept anything new. I'd also consider reducing the amount if the cagemate is getting a much larger portion. Pellets aren't essential so I wouldn't stress too much, it's always tricky with these fussy eaters.

:agr: Mix the two and slowly reduce the amount of harringtons. I had to do it when I brought the girls home (switched to harringtons). They were on burgess excel but it took a while before they accepted the change 🙄

I'd keep trying. Mix some of the new in with the Harringtons, gradually reducing the Harringtons. When she sees her cage mate eating the new she may get the message. Some of mine are very slow to accept anything new. I'd also consider reducing the amount if the cagemate is getting a much larger portion. Pellets aren't essential so I wouldn't stress too much, it's always tricky with these fussy eaters.

:agr: Mix the two and slowly reduce the amount of harringtons. I had to do it when I brought the girls home (switched to harringtons). They were on burgess excel but it took a while before they accepted the change 🙄

Thanks guys,
They're on a 50/50 old/new mix at moment. Funny thing is ginny seems to like most new pellets initially, but goes off them during transition process.

Back