Pellet question

Pigglemama

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi I wanted to ask advice about pellets. My two pigs aren’t overly keen on any pellets but quite like the ones pictured- are these ok for them- I only give half a tablespoon each or would a pellet free diet be ok for them? I’m scared of pellets as my Piggy Muffin died from bladder stones and I always worry about the calcium in them. Equally I don’t want to deprive Percy and Simba of nutrients they may need? Can anyone advise please. 89F5D68E-A530-47DE-9602-2FA41EDD032F.png

Attachments

• 765E1501-3D9E-40A6-B10F-3642C2F7A2B3.webp
    765E1501-3D9E-40A6-B10F-3642C2F7A2B3.webp
    27.8 KB · Views: 2
Pellet free is absolutely fine but so is something in between. My lot get grass based plain pellets 2-3 times a week and even then it is less than a tablespoon each.

I personally wouldn’t feed those as they are wheat based and contain alfalfa (in the ingredients as Lucerne) which I tend to avoid. The calcium in those pellets seems to be on a par with a lot of the other commercial brands. But the reality is, any pellet needs to be kept limited (which you are doing)

Pellet free is absolutely fine but so is something in between. My lot get grass based plain pellets 2-3 times a week and even then it is less than a tablespoon each.

I personally wouldn’t feed those as they are wheat based and contain alfalfa (in the ingredients as Lucerne) which I tend to avoid. The calcium in those pellets seems to be on a par with a lot of the other commercial brands. But the reality is, any pellet needs to be kept limited (which you are doing)
Thank you- it baffles me why people give huge bowls of pellets! Where do you get your grass based pellets from? X

My vet recommends not feeding pellets, so I haven't fed mine pellets for a few years. I give fresh forage, mostly grass, when it's available on top of their veggie allowance. Many people's piggies do fine on a small amount of pellets, so you have a choice.

Thank you- it baffles me why people give huge bowls of pellets! Where do you get your grass based pellets from? X

I like piggie parcels pellets (a small business run by a member of this forum).
I buy dried forage from her also . I tend to give forage 5 days a week and give pellets twice a week in summer and theee times a week in winter.
In summer I also gice plenty of fresh forage as well as them being on the lawn 12-14 hours a day

Back