Pellet puzzle

LondonLady

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
It seems that Biscuit and Toffee have decided they no longer like their pellets. I have been giving them Burgess Excel pellets with mint, 1 tbsp each per day with their breakfast veggies and they always use to wolf them down. But the last week or so they just don't seem interested in them. I've tried giving them later in the day and I've reduced the amount to 1 tbsp between the two of them but they still only eat about half.

I know pellets only make up a very small part of their diet so it's probably not a huge problem but I don't understand why they suddenly don't want them and I'm not sure what I should do:
Keep offering them and take them away when they're not eaten?
Stop giving them altogether for a while?
Change to a different brand? (any suggestions?)

Thanks 🙂

I don't give my piggies any pellets, just lots of good quality hay and their portion of veggies. The exotics vets at my practice consider pellets to be piggy junk food.

I wouldn’t bother giving them if they don’t want them.
I only give pellets at less than 1tbsp per pig and I only give them 2-3 times a week. Instead I give dried forage (as well as fresh forage in summer) and I also give a slightly larger portion of veg.

Ok, thank you. I'll stop the pellets for now and get some dried forage for them. Just a bit puzzled as to why they've suddenly taken a dislike to the pellets.

Ok, thank you. I'll stop the pellets for now and get some dried forage for them. Just a bit puzzled as to why they've suddenly taken a dislike to the pellets.

As long as they are maintaining their weight, ie are eating plenty of hay, then I wouldn’t worry too much about it.
You could use a couple of pellets for hand feeding/bonding time and see if they are interested in them that way. It really doesn’t matter though.
Do just made sure you give a good variety of veg, fresh grass if you have it also, so they are getting a good mix of nutrients

Save your pounds! I don’t generally give them either. My four are all fussy about pellets. One bag they like, the next they leave. I give plain porridge oats as a treat instead and much cheaper 😆

Save your pounds! I don’t generally give them either. My four are all fussy about pellets. One bag they like, the next they leave. I give plain porridge oats as a treat instead and much cheaper 😆

I’ve started giving my two oldies a small amount of porridge oats daily to help with their weight, they love them

As long as they are maintaining their weight, ie are eating plenty of hay, then I wouldn’t worry too much about it.
You could use a couple of pellets for hand feeding/bonding time and see if they are interested in them that way. It really doesn’t matter though.
Do just made sure you give a good variety of veg, fresh grass if you have it also, so they are getting a good mix of nutrients
Yes their weight is steady, they get through mountains of hay and eat all their veggies. I can't really get fresh grass but I make sure they have a variety of veg.

Back